View Single Post
Old 09-07-2016, 09:13 PM   #25
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebo View Post
I would argue against that those trades make Dallas more appealing than it is now. Dallas might be more appealing than it has been for the last 5 years or more and not just by the names it can put on the court. You may be losing more by trading DWill than gaining.

Let's take a look at the current status. If my memory serves right, Barnes has said Dallas was his choice. Matthews showed his loyalty and perhaps preference when he kept the agreement of joining Mavericks even if Deandra starts crying. Powell had other options but gave up money to play in Dallas. Same goes to DWill, he gave up money and perhaps better contract to stay in Dallas - you can argue he did not have any other decent options but then look at who Chicago signed to play as their point guard. JJ Barea may be a casualty of his style but he is kind of synonymous with being a Maverick. You also have rumors that Bogut chose Dallas over Houston.

All I am saying is that currently Mavericks have a lot of players that actually want to be in Dallas. Players talk, word goes around and this will help to improve Mavericks' image a lot more than having a strong lineup without A-listed star - other than Dirk. Trading away players who gave up money to play in Dallas is not the way to improve your appeal to free agents.
You make a lot of good points Thebo and I do agree with most of what you are saying and it makes sense but I'm not sure it is the reality for top tier FAs. Second and lower tier players and guys on the back end of their careers probably love Dallas but I'm not sure young big ego players want to play on a team they know will always be Dirk's along with other core vets.

At this point I think semi-rebuilding with younger players, but not necessarily rookies, is not a bad strategy considering our current situation. Building a core with 20-somethings rather than 30-somethings would be more appealing to me if I'm a young budding star FA looking for a team to possibly lead in the near future. It would be tough coming into a situation if your aspirations are to lead when you play with guys like DWill, Dirk, Matthews and Bogut. Former stars on the back end of their careers may have lost a step, and skills may not be as sharp, but they normally carry their leadership skills and status to the end of their careers.

I think we have been perceived primarily as a veteran-oriented team over the past decade which doesn't seem to be an attractive environment for superstar or even all-star caliber players unless they are past their prime which then would make Dallas a very attractive and suitable situation for them because RC and the rest of the organization seems to embrace and favor vets.

IDK...I get what you are saying but don't think the rest of the league views this team through the same lens as our fans do.

Last edited by rimrocker; 09-07-2016 at 09:15 PM.
rimrocker is offline   Reply With Quote