View Single Post
Old 11-22-2003, 01:09 PM   #5
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:Antawn Jamison's Trade Value Or Lack Of

Lvubun, you've made this argument several times, and to the extent that AJ does have a very big contract, you're right that teams are not going to be chomping at the bit to get him. But don't devalue him just because we got him so cheap. The reason that happened had no more, and probably less to do with AJ than it did with Fortson and Dunleavy. The Warriors were desparate to get rid of the former, and their evaluation of the latter made the small forward position the obvious choice to dip into for the package. Yes AJ's overpaid, but in the grand scheme of things he's overpaid by a considerably smaller amount than is Fortson, and AJ was the leading scorer on a pretty darn good offense last year.

Now, what is AJ's value? I don't think there's any way way get a talent steal for him the way we did when we got him, but a fair amount of that has to do with him being such a good player that in order to get anybody who's any better you have to start looking at guys who are in the untouchables category. Could he be traded for a guy of his caliber? If it filled a need for both teams and their contracts were equivalent (there are lots of inflated contracts around the league), I don't see why not. He's a quality guy so he doesn't come with any baggage.

I think AW's trade value *will* be higher next year. Yes, AW has baggage, but for teams looking to cut salary, his contract, once there's only a year left on it, will be an attractive one.