View Single Post
Old 11-28-2020, 09:27 PM   #1728
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

If Lowry was a few years younger, then I would do that in a heartbeat. But he's 35 in March. So obviously he's not a long term solution. I'm actually leaning towards a no on this deal, because if those role players on our roster are going to be trade chips, then I'd rather use them in a trade for a younger player that's going to be next to Luka for years.

At this point, I honestly think tradeable contracts are more valuable to us than cap space. The more I think about it, the less confident I am in getting a real impact player via free agency. As EL has pointed out in this thread or another, the 2021 free agent class actually isn't the gold mine that we think it is. After Giannis and Holiday, there really aren't a lot of great options for us. If we're going to get a third star, I feel like it's far more likely to happen via trade than free agency. Lowry is a third star, yes, but only for a year. Either we let him walk in the summer to free up cap space, or we re-sign him and he just gets old. UNLESS the idea is to turn around and flip him for a different player. Which I suppose is possible, but still, it seems like it would be smarter just to keep the assets that we have.

Last edited by Thespiralgoeson; 11-28-2020 at 09:29 PM.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote