View Single Post
Old 01-02-2003, 01:46 PM   #25
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

<< Rare loss? Haven't we gone thru the debate of who should hold the ball and take the last shot in crunch time many times? Yes I agree that even if Dirk's the one who take the last shot he might not make basket... but Nellie doesn't even seem to try that.
>>

I think I need more than speculation to back this up, possibly some numbers if you could find them on touches in the fourth or something like that. Last year for example steve/dirk were the two people who took over down the stretch. They won many,many games for us.

last year in the last game against san antonio, I think dirk took the last shot. I've seen him take the last shot many times. Last year he and steve for example owned the &quot;crunch time&quot; index numbers for most of the year wherein the players who had the most impact in the last minutes of the game.

All that being said it does drive me a little cuckoo that it seems that dirk doesn't touch the ball as much as I would like. But look at the sac series last year, he touched it all of the time and couldn't do much with it. Couldn't really beat hedo or the double team or pass out of it.

I also don't go back and slow-mo rerun every game, chart every touch, I wish there were something out there to give us more definitive answers. But in my mind there is no definitive proof that if dirk got the ball on the low-blocks more that we would score more or win more, in fact a valid case could be made that it would just slow our overall scoring down and change the complexion of the team. I know that many folks on this board do not LIKE the complexion of our team as it is not the traditional power team, but right now they are the best team in the world, so I would expect nelson to at least get his shot at winning it all.

"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote