View Single Post
Old 11-27-2012, 03:23 PM   #49
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalmations202 View Post
Since when didn't rain pour from UNDER the earth? Can you definitively tell me it didn't? You can't.....ah but you can assume without proof.
Fortunately, science properly demands evidence for a positive claim, not for proof of a negative.

Quote:
Now I admit that I made an assumption as well to get to this scientific experiment I chose. I assumed the Biblical version to be correct.

Gen 7:11 In the six hundredth year of the life of Noah, in the second month, in the seventeenth day of the month, in this day have been broken up all fountains of the great deep, and the net-work of the heavens hath been opened,
Gen 7:12 and the shower is on the earth forty days and forty nights.

You see it says it in the Bible -- and the storybook is more of a history book from what I have read. It is interpreted vast way which causes lots of issues, but it so far has never been proven to be false. Nor has it been proven to be totally correct - yet.
We also have historical records of Zeus casting thunderbolts from Mount Olympus. How much do you believe Greek Mythology should influence scientific analysis?

Quote:
So even if you don't believe it -- by scientific testing -- it COULD have happened and would throw a huge wrench into the dating of most things.
We also "could have" been deposited on this planet by aliens. That would also certainly throw a wrench into our understanding... once we find evidence for it. For now, we'll stick to the theories that do have evidence going for them.

Quote:
Are not all lifeforms on the earth Carbon based lifeforms? Isn't that why we use carbon dating on anything that was living? Best I can tell we use Carbon dating to date all things living.

But, I put the carbon half-life and formula up and it only goes back thousands of years and has several assumptions in it even there.
Did you not read what I said before? It doesn't "only go back thousands of years." It goes back millions of years because of the nature of radioactive decay.

Quote:
So what is the "other" dating we can use on carbon based lifeforms?

I know various other elements we from a scientific standpoint -- IF -- we assume constant decay, etc have longer half-lives. As it was explained to me though -- all living creatures on the earth are carbon based -- hence the reason we do carbon dating.

So I am back to the question above? How does science date carbon based lifeforms other than radiocarbon dating?
I'm no expert on radioactive dating. But this video (argument #1) gives you a list of methods you can look into.
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote