View Single Post
Old 04-26-2013, 04:14 PM   #5
SeanL

SeanL is infamous around these partsSeanL is infamous around these partsSeanL is infamous around these partsSeanL is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394 View Post
Another democrat bashes dubya for Katrina.. Another one of those things that dubya did while the camera wasn't on.
http://www.cnn.com/2013/04/25/opinio...tml?hpt=hp_bn7

"Bush understood the need for civility. I joined him despite my frustration because the need was too great for finger-pointing and blame-making. He flew to New Orleans and addressed the nation: "Tonight I also offer this pledge to the American people: Throughout the area hit by the hurricane, we will do what it takes. We will stay as long as it takes to help citizens rebuild their communities and their lives."

George W. Bush was good as his word. He visited the Gulf states 17 times; went 13 times to New Orleans. Laura Bush made 24 trips. Bush saw that $126 billion in aid was sent to the Gulf's residents, as some members of his own party in Congress balked.

Bush put a special emphasis on rebuilding schools and universities. He didn't forget African-Americans: Bush provided $400 million to the historically black colleges, now integrated, that remain a pride, and magnet for African-American students. Laura Bush, a librarian, saw to it that thousands of books ruined by the floods were replaced. To this day, there are many local libraries with tributes devoted to her efforts.

It was a team effort. I'm glad to report the commission I served on went out-of-business in 2010. I'm also grateful and proud to report that President Bush was one of the leaders, and a very important member, of that team. Our recovery can be credited to the civility and tireless efforts of President Bush and other Americans, who united and worked together to help rebuild the Gulf and the place of my birth, New Orleans."
It wasn't necessarily what he did after Katrina it was what he did before that was the problem. The Bush administration gutted FEMA in the 4 years before the hurricane hit, which made it hopelessly ineffective in the aftermath. But I'm sure after the hurricane hit he made very meaningful efforts to help the people there.

Last edited by SeanL; 04-26-2013 at 04:15 PM.
SeanL is offline   Reply With Quote