View Single Post
Old 05-10-2013, 10:07 AM   #106
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

If I state that I believe abortion to be wrong, am I being hateful? Or am I just stating a belief? Am I implicitly expressing hatred to anyone condoning or practicing abortion? Or am I just simply expressing my opinion in the hopes that someone will hear it?

Is it wrong of me to believe something that is so clearly the minority opinion within society? Has societal acceptance reached the point that I am simply not allowed to express this belief without being labeled as hateful?

What if I hold and express this belief, and yet it never affects my societal relationships? What if I hold no ill-will towards those around me that openly support it? What if I engage in lively, open, and friendly (although sometimes heated) debate with those I love that support it?

On the flip side, what if I support abortion? Abortion is heavily accepted within society, so clearly I'm not hateful. But what if I have a deep seeded level of disgust at those that don't support it? What if I chalk up their beliefs as irrational and archaic. No intelligent and rational person could ever not support it, right? So anyone that doesn't should be written off as hateful and bigoted, a male chauvinist who has no use for women's rights. I won't even listen to their points and I will make it clear when they're around that I have no use for them or any others of their ilk.

Now, who in this scenario is close minded and hateful, and who is not?

(And just for the record, I am most certainly not arguing that this is the case with Broussard or most Christians with their views. I don't know what Broussard has in his heart or how his beliefs affect his relationships. I'm simply showing that being in the majority doesn't mean you're the beacon of openness and equality that you claim to be)

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com

Last edited by jthig32; 05-10-2013 at 10:09 AM.
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote