View Single Post
Old 04-23-2008, 11:19 AM   #82
alexamenos
Diamond Member

alexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond repute

ahh....this is kind of interesting....in all the early reports of the call from "Sarah" i've read something to the effect of:

Quote:
a terrified 16-year-old girl to a family-violence shelter who accused her 50-year-old husband of beating and raping her
as quoted from the article linked in the first post of this thread.

....or from Slate's preface of the affidavitwhich led to the warrant, something like

Quote:
The raid was conducted in response to telephone calls on March 29 and 30 by a teenager who told child-safety and shelter workers that she and her 8-month-old infant were virtual prisoners inside the sect grounds.
even the affidavit states:

Quote:
the teenaged mother had called local family violence shelters
now from this story comes this little detail:

Quote:
She made the calls to Flora Jessop, a former FLDS member who now runs Child Protection Project, which helps girls and women escape from the sect
not so oddly, the authorities in this matter haven't seen fit to call attention to the fact that
*Sarah*'s bogus call went to the Child Protection Project, an organization that specifically targets the FLDS and who's focus is to:

Quote:
expose the abuses inside polygamous groups in an effort to free the victims and also to demand action on the part of government and law enforcement.
at the very least, Flora Jessop et al are as responsible for the hoax as "Sarah" -- they are familiar enough with the FLDS that they could have easily ferreted out the hoax had they wanted to.

and it also demonstrates how eager the CPS was to find a pretext--that they would uncritically accept a call from a group with an unequivocally stated axe to grind against the FLDS is silly.

(I also like how the cps always carefully states that "a number of minors" are pregnant, if the "number" were a big number, I bet we'd know what that number is...you know 1 is technically a number and 2 also....)

i'm also inclined to think that the extent to which this little tidbit has been concealed suggests that the State knew it was something to hide.

-------------------

addendum:
Quote:
In a sign of continuing chaos surrounding the case, DFPS on Monday revised the number of children in protective custody from 416 to 437.

"We didn't get a good count. They were moving around, some of them were in different rooms when we were counting," explained Shari Pulliam of DFPS. And some teens said they were adults when they were really minors.
hmmm....my earlier statement: "the State has made another bargain with the mother's, this one being that only mothers who are themselves minors may remain with the children, thereby putting women who are not minors in the position of lying to help the State make it's case if they want to see their children."

Last edited by alexamenos; 04-23-2008 at 11:30 AM.
alexamenos is offline   Reply With Quote