View Single Post
Old 05-29-2008, 06:52 PM   #205
wmbwinn
Platinum Member

wmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsluggo
I thought the term "spiritually married" was established earlier in this thread to mean "married" --- but not legally married because polygamy is illegal. no?

as far as the timing of illegality... yes, I'm sure it wasn't a coincidence. But that happens with absurd "legacy laws" .. they hang around on the books until changing them becomes relevent (like, say, when an isloated compound of people starts marrying 14 year old girls to 50 year old men).

Performing oral sex was illegal in my home state of Virgina until 2 years ago... and the only reason someone bothered to change the law was that a woman who for years was the beneficiary of oral treatment without reciprocating had the gal to demand custody and increased alimony based on the demonstrated lawbreaking of her husband during the time of her marriage... and you know what? the law supported her contention.

(This story is pure classical tragedy... not only did this selfish person go for years taking taking taking without giving back in return... then she manages to USE THAT SELFISH FACT FOR MORE GAIN!!??? If the greek tragedy motif plays itself out to its logical conclusion this woman better watch out.... clearly there is going to be a safe full of alimony payments dropping out of a 3rd story window onto her head, or some other similar just deserts.

THESE are the sorts of serious moral issues that can get MY blood flowing))

Once an oudated law ACTUALLY starts to cause problems lawmakers have some impetus to change it.
Ah, McSluggo, be careful. You may get what you want...

If the laws are rewritten to make it illegal to have more than one "spiritual wife", then what is the difference legally for a man to have a mistress? The man with a wife and a mistress is no different LEGALLY from a man with a legally married wife and a "spiritual wife".

If the laws are re-written, then Magic Johnson convicted himself of polygamy when he wrote in his book that he had sex with about 10,000 women...
Heck, Magic Johnson makes Brigham Young look impotent...

How many people reading this thread are guilty of polygamy if the laws are changed to say that a person having sex with more than one person is guilty of polygamy?
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." -Thomas Jefferson
wmbwinn is offline   Reply With Quote