View Single Post
Old 05-30-2008, 10:44 AM   #211
alexamenos
Diamond Member

alexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsluggo
I thought the term "spiritually married" was established earlier in this thread to mean "married" --- but not legally married because polygamy is illegal. no?
i don't think this is correct -- the notion of "spiritual marriage" amongst mormons seems to have theological rather than legal roots. and in other religions it has a distinctly non-legal meaning:

Quote:
Spiritual marriage comes from the idea of "love without sex." It is a practice in which a man and a woman live intimately without having any sexual relationship. It has been known throughout all cultures as a bond of a man and a woman with its only reason being the spiritual connection between the two and nothing more. Spiritual marriage is the ultimate singular relationship.
there's also a notion of "spiritual wivery", which has a decidedly hedonist flavor and i don't think it applies here very well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsluggo
My understanding (from a mormon friend a couople of years ago) is that a morman can get married several times (say if their spouse dies)... but once they are DEAD they are still "sealed" to their original spouse, in essense married forever in the after life...
As I understand it, the distinction your mormon friend makes is the distinction between being legally (physically) married and spiritually married....

which is my point...I suspect (ie, it seems but i'm not certain) that there is a distinction between "spiritual marriage" and "marriage marriage'. I don't know that a "spiritual marriage" does not include physical consummation, but it seems to me that a spiritual marriage is inherently about being sealed in the after-life. this little theological tidbit needs to be taken into consideration next time some CPS agent says that 'little janie so-and-so says she's been taught that girls can and should get spiritually married as soon as possible.'

Last edited by alexamenos; 05-30-2008 at 10:49 AM.
alexamenos is offline   Reply With Quote