View Single Post
Old 03-12-2009, 10:09 PM   #27
mavErika
Golden Member

mavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikeball View Post
If the opponent makes the free throw he takes the basketball and bounces it really hard with two hands. Probably to make it lopsided for a few seconds because he is so strong.
These hard bounces always intrigued me, I cannot figure out which possible explanation I think of to be the most likely. For the whole ft-ball-touching and bouncing before it goes back to the ref, I could have imagined distraction of the shooter, ball-sweatening, some mojo off-shaking/evoking (anybody knows whether Dirk only bounces the ball so hard off made opp.ft's?) or flat out superstition as possible reasons, but by far, that would be my favourite explanation.
It seems to make sense(it does, does it?) and still sounds kind of like a Chuck Norris-joke to me.

For the jersey-pulling, I would guess it's some semi-intentional mix of a celebration-gesture and a message to his team, the opponents, the crowd and the whole world. Kind of like "I'm on fire/We sealed it/You just got Dirked!/this is the team you're watching winning/(Because)it's Dallas/#41, remember it!" and probably even a little bit "I'm just too big/sexy for my shirt" although it might sound unfamiliar, that our modest, unselfish 7-footer could only at times have a feeling, that somebody might miss how big he is, and he is in every possible aspect.

Maybe it has also something to do with him watching soccer at times? I don't know if he does, but in Germany and certainly in most of Europe it's the most popular sport, and soccer-players are pulling and lifting their shirts frequently after scoring. Most of them not really thinking about
what they're doing, suddenly they just feel too big for their jersey's and/or showing pride for their team and themselves.

Sorry for the long post, now bring on some more weird Dirk-habits, gotta love how this thread unfolded, i can see great potential here. Maybe there are still some Dirkisms I haven't noticed yet, like the one with his intro-steps. Otherwise, you can always try to unravel them.
Somehow, I need to watch the intro next time!
mavErika is offline   Reply With Quote