View Single Post
Old 05-19-2009, 03:53 PM   #16
92bDad
Platinum Member

92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavdog View Post
can't agree that clean air is "over hyped".

the studies on the negative health affects of smog/ozone are very clear...it creates burdensome and costly health issues.

me, I'd rather pay more for a vehicle and continue to have functioning lungs.

apparently you don't have as much regard for your lungs (and other people's lungs as well) as I do.
That's what makes the debate so challenging.

First the use of words to make any debate of the topic seem crazy. It removes any counter thought from being valid...thus the debate is over?

Your take is that cars are poluting the air to the point that is creating serious health care issues and thus making it more expensive for society as a whole.

At least that is what I understand from your view.

You base it on various studies, based on your history of posting, I would believe that you have multiple printed sources that have credibility in supporting your view.

The flip side, is that this environmental issue is either overstated if not blatantly false and we as a society are paying more money for something that is not a need.

Either way, one side or the other of the issue is going to be shelling out money for someone else's problem.

Ultimately, our pocket book is going to drive how we make and enforce policies. It's about making choices and priorities.

As it stands today, buying a new car or upgrading to some fancy "Environmental" car is against my budget. But then again, I buy my cars cash, versus on credit. Thus I buy cars that are used. You might say that I am being environmentally conscious with my pocketbook and as it is today, investing in something I don't believe is an issue would be a waste of my money.

I don't believe that we have a MAJOR polution problem with our cars. I do believe there is an effect on air quality, but I don't believe it is as major of an issue as some would lead us to believe.

Honestly, being a fat guy...I believe we have a much larger issue with regards to health as a society based on our addiction to food and sitting on our arse. The problem is that people with contol issues feel better by regulating environmental conditions from automobiles than to promote healthy living by its citizens.

After all, those with control issues can't make people eat healthy and exercise healthy...but they can control how and what people drive, to an extent.

Bottom line, how can people waste money on mechanical things that have no affect on environmental issues, while we have obese people in need of incentives to get healthy, while we have people dieing daily of AIDS, Starvation or even murdered in the womb?

Regulating exhaust on auto's is at or near the BOTTOM of the priority list.
92bDad is offline   Reply With Quote