View Single Post
Old 05-20-2009, 04:47 PM   #35
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394 View Post
Whenever anyone talks about replacing fossil feul they seldom comprehend the magnitude of the problem.

For some reason it is difficult to find the percentage of renwables. They are currently about 7% and growing to about 9-12% per this report.
http://www.eia.doe.gov/oiaf/aeo/demand.html

The bottom line is that we use a WHOLE HELL of a lot of energy....This report doesn't show renwables (including biomass) getting about 13% even by 2030.

That isn't the real problem though, and it has never been. It isn't like there is any lack of energy. The energy is here and is replenished by the sun daily.

The problem then and now is development cost, and how do I make my money.

Many people don't want to do it, if it doesn't make me money. Same with Cars right now. Why do cars cost more money to make in this country, than in any other country? -- because someone is willing to pay it, and mfgs want their cut.

Why would I develop a low cost reliable car that cost millions in development cost, thousands in production, and then only sell it for thousands? I mean, I should be rich in the end -- isn't that the American way?

Small diesel or hydrogen generators are fairly inexpensive. (could be less with mass produced)
Battery technology has come a long way. (could be less with mass production)
Motors on the wheels that use braking for recharge are not that expensive. (could be massively less with mass production)
Solar to help charge would come down greatly if mass produced.

Yet to put these together in a car -- outrageous prices.... because they need to recoup the development cost, and they would need to retool, and everyone still wants PAID.

How much cost of every vehicle produced today comes from paying for the labor, and not the product? I mean marketing, assembly, sales, all the C's want paid, and then you have the dealers, mechanics, and aftermarket people. It isn't that you don't need these people, the question is how much do they need to make.

Truly free market will always cause caste systems.

With that said, I don't want the government in charge of it either.

When it is decided that the environment is more important though than the $$$$ -- then I will believe. Right now, all I see is someone trying to play the shell game with the $$$$, and see if you can hide it somewhere else -- rather than with the ones that have had it and the power that goes with it.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote