View Single Post
Old 04-08-2023, 05:26 AM   #110
Zeus

Zeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by saclare View Post
Eh a little different in that he also went to TCU, but yea, we've beat the Bane train to death lol

Basically, I'd love for them to place more importance in the draft. Seemed to have taken a change with the Hardy pick in being aggressive to add talent.

My approach would be to float away from the high-end potential guys and get the guys who have already produced at a high level (college or G league). Those same guys have high ceilings but also high floors. Obviously this plays a little different in the top 10, but it applies to buying back into the 2nd round and whenever we have later 1st rounders.

Can go back to our championship season to see how cute they were in the drafts:

Jordan Hamilton over Jimmy Butler, Bojan Bogdanovic , hell even his own teammate in Cory Joseph showed better but...potential! Dig deeper and our favorite Chandler Parsons there in the 2nd. Our boy Bertans was found in the 2nd in this draft

2012-2013 were the picks for powder, as they were traded. Zeller and Olynyk fit the bill, but we can assume the team trading for them made the pick, and not the Mavs. This is also where the Mavs should have drafted Giannis, but we know Cuban nixed that.

Justin Anderson over Bobby Portis and Montrezl Harrell, I guess you could include Larry Nance Jr. and Kevon Looney, but I didn't think much of them at the time. Bonus Josh Richardson and Norman Powell in the 2nd

A.J. Hammons...yea yea 2nd rounder, but Goerges Niang was right there, too

Dennis Smith Jr. is one I won't harp on as it was a top 10 pick and pretty much consensus. But given guys like Donovan Mitchell and Bam Adebayo went behind him, begs for a different philosophy and scouting. Either way, this pick/player would have gone in the trade for KP

Boil it all down, the Mavs need to stop being cute with the draft and accumulate assets. Are any of the above players that we there true needle movers? No, but certainly valuable as rotation pieces and in trades. My hope is the Mavs continue to be uber aggressive in the 2nd round. Guys like Hardy can be found there. It's not easy, considering we don't have any of our actual picks for years, but we've seen it done.
Thank you. You eloquently stated what I have been telling friends for awhile. The Luka era was sabotaged partly because the cupboard was so bare when Luka got here because of the F ups you lay out from 2011 on. The misunderstanding of the 2012 CBA turned into being devoid of assets when Luka got here. So here we are.. No 2nd rounders for 7 years, no real assets that anyone wants and potentially conveying our 1st round pick to NY if we have bad lottery luck.
Zeus is offline   Reply With Quote