View Single Post
Old 07-10-2011, 04:31 AM   #1
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Deron Williams: Broke?

He's going to Turkey to play during the lockout, they say. When I saw the interview a couple days ago, something raised my eyebrow. Here's the relevant bit from today's ESPN story:

Quote:
Some have speculated that Williams, who has made more than $40 million over his six-year career, is going overseas because he needs the money. He laughed at that notion.

"It's ridiculous," he said. "We've known this lockout's coming. I have plenty of money saved for the lockout purpose. Now, I don't even need to touch that money. I can invest that money. I can go grow that money. It's not something that's money-driven."
How much of that $40MM do you think is left? How high are this guy's annual expenses? I mean, he didn't say "I've got more than enough money in the bank to withstand a year with no income." Instead he's been squirreling money away to get him through the dark days? Um-hmm. Something tells me that if there was a portion of his early salary that he hadn't "need[ed] to touch" and that he had "invest[ed]" and "grow[n]," he wouldn't be in this--um, yes--"money-driven" position.

Quote:
Williams will take his wife and four kids with him to Istanbul, where the team will provide them with an apartment, a car and personal security.
Sounds like a nice lifestyle! How great for the four kids. What a culturally diverse learning experience.

Sounds to me like maybe D-Will has been living beyond his means. If so, that would of course completely be his own decision and not something anyone else should pass judgment on. But it may be an anecdotal point to suggest that the players aren't able to withstand a full season without pay.

Story here: http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/n...ory?id=6753259
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote