View Single Post
Old 02-05-2008, 09:23 PM   #5
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddh33
Dallas is mentioned in everything. I like this one though.

First of all, Shaq is still a huge post presence. He'll be one forever because of his size and ability. Now, can you even begin to imagine this team with a legit post presence? Think of all of the Devin Harris drives that would end in Shaq dunks. Think of the Dirk jumpers that would be even more open because of Shaq...

Granted, Shaq is a huge salary. He's also a legitimate health concern. For those reasons, i would hope that the talent trade off wouldn't be as steep.

I would think about dealing Damp, since he won't be needed with Shaq here. That would also allow you to keep Diop as the defensive minded sub for Shaq to gobble up those minutes while he's out.

After Damp, you still need to get 7 more million. I would think about adding Jet and asking for Dorrell Wright or Dequan Cook. I can't see the Heat going for that, so I would try to counter with Devean George and enough stuff to get me to 7 million. I would even take Smush Parker off their hands for the trouble. That should appeal to them...

All I know is that Shaq for 25 minutes a game would improve this team more than any available player.
I don't know if I agree with Damp not being needed with Shaq here. First, I think Shaq is at a point where he shouldn't be playing much more than 30 minutes a game to preserve his health for the postseason when you really need him. If you played him 28 minutes, that means there are still 20 minutes for Damp. Second, I think Damp provides a contrasting skill set. I'd take Damp's defense over that of Diop any day of the week, and he provides a nice contrast to the offense that Shaq would give you. Maybe Damp isn't an athletic enough contrast for you, but I still think concerns about Damp's troubles with athletic players gets overblown a little bit. He seems to keep his position pretty well going up against them one on one whenever I watch. Part of his problem is that he does get into foul trouble (some of that is bad reputation with the refs), but that problem will be a lot less of one if you have another worthwhile center to go to. And if you really want an athletic center, well you can go small ball with Bass for a while. But that's not something I would really recommend.

And I don't know why we would give up Damp. First of all, Miami should be looking to shed salary cap space. Why trade one overpaid center for another overpaid center with a smaller contract? Also, Damp is no spring chicken. He doesn't really help them in any way in the rebuilding process. Third, Miami has no right to be getting picky about what they get back in a trade. That Shaq contract is one of the worst in sports. They should be thankful that someone is willing to take it off their hands, and let that be that. Honestly, I think they would be lucky to get much more than what Memphis got in the Gasol deal.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson

Last edited by FINtastic; 02-05-2008 at 09:33 PM.
FINtastic is offline   Reply With Quote