View Single Post
Old 09-24-2008, 04:41 PM   #1
Windmill360
Diamond Member

Windmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Lions' Williams Looking Forward To Free Agency

24th September, 2008 - 12:46 pm

Quote:
Detroit Free-Press - Roy Williams can remember every loss he had in high school and at the University of Texas, but remembering losses with the Lions has been a more challenging proposition.

“I started counting them up last off-season,” Williams said, “but I lost track.”

Williams is finishing his five-year rookie contract and could be eligible for free agency this off-season.

“Everybody would like to stay where they are drafted,” Williams said. “But at the same time, everybody would like to go back home as they get older. My home is Texas.”

RealGM Note: Williams has been the 32nd best wide receiver through the first three weeks of 2008. He 'deserves' a salary of $3.5 million and therefore has a Reina Value of -44%.

Talk radio has been crackling with his name as a potential addition for the Cowboys to give them a younger, deeper, more talented corps of wide receivers. Williams knows there’s a yearning for him back home.

“My brother keeps me informed,” said Williams of Lloyd Hill, a former NCAA receiving champion at Texas Tech who lives in Grand Prairie.

But there’s no guarantee that Williams will leave Detroit in 2009, even though the two sides are not talking contract at this point. It’s not that the talks have broken off. They never started.

“They say this organization waits until the last minute,” Williams said. “It doesn’t bother me. I really don’t care. If I’m here, they’re going to pay me. If not, I’ll be somewhere else.”

The Lions can prevent Williams from leaving by slapping a franchise tag on him. That would guarantee him a one-year contract at an average salary of the five highest-paid wide receivers in the NFL.

But the Lions also could send him packing early. If the losses continue to mount, the NFL trade deadline looms on Oct. 14. A team suddenly building for the future such as the Lions may be swayed by a premium draft pick or two.

“It’s always in the back of my mind,” Williams said. “What’s going to happen? Am I going to get franchised? Are they going to pay me, or am I going to end up somewhere else? Or are they going to trade me in the middle of the season like Chris Chambers last year?”

Williams is a proven commodity. He caught 82 passes for 1,310 yards and seven touchdowns in his Pro Bowl season in 2006, then lit up Philadelphia for a nine-catch, 204-yard game in 2007. But a knee injury last December cost him the chance for back-to-back 1,000-yard seasons. He spent the final four games on injured reserve.

Williams is only 26 with plenty of quality football years left in his body. He could see himself spending those years in Detroit.

“When I got drafted, the first thing I said was I want to be the one who turns this franchise around,” Williams said. “So far that hasn’t happened. But that’s still my goal, to turn this place around.”

But Williams may need a little help. The Lions, who have a bye this week, are one of six NFL franchises that have never been to a Super Bowl.

“I think this place is cursed,” Williams said. “I asked our chaplain if he knew anyone who could christen Ford Field to get it right for us.”

http://football.realgm.com/src_wiret...o_free_agency/

Last edited by Windmill360; 09-24-2008 at 04:41 PM.
Windmill360 is offline   Reply With Quote