Thread: Iran
View Single Post
Old 06-24-2009, 04:38 PM   #23
Mavdog
Diamond Member

Mavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexamenos View Post
but Obama isn't doing a mea culpa, he's doing a "We screwed you and because of this you hate us but if you could just get past your hatred then everything would be ok." It's a non-pology.
disagree. the statement "the United States played a role in the overthrow of a democratically-elected Iranian government." is an admission that the usa acted wrongly.

Quote:
A bonafide mea culpa would be something like, "I recognize that the United States actively thwarted democracy in Iran for generations. I further recognize that we are openly hostile to you and that we have spent the last several years building numerous military bases in a neighboring country, close enough that we might launch a military attack upon you within hours. Given that you pose no plausible threat to the security of the United States, that we currently pose a very real threat to your national security and furthermore that we have in the past overthrown your democratically elected government in favor of single dictator, far be it from us to lecture you as if we own the moral high ground."

I'm not saying that Obama should do one thing or the other, just saying that if I were Iranian, what he is saying would make me more hostile to the US, not less.
iran does pose a "plausible threat to the security of the united states". absolutely as it has shown the proclivity to use agents to do their bidding and have no reluctance nor remorse in murdering people who would be otherwise not in harms way, so it is no stretch of anyone's imagination to believe that their leaders would not hesitate to harm americans if they a) had the chance and b) thought they could get away with it.

bases in nearby countries is a non-issue. american forces could hit iran irregardless of where those bases were located.
Mavdog is offline   Reply With Quote