View Single Post
Old 03-16-2016, 11:34 PM   #65
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActionJackson View Post
Dirk obviously doesn't want to leave and The Mavs don't want to see him go. But my point is that they could do it together for the franchise. And this could be made by trading him sometime next season? Dallas could get some nice pieces for the future and Dirk could play one more season for a good team.

Obviously as an old romantic fool, I don't want to see it happen. But it would be best for both parties. Then again, if Dirk just wants to stay and he's fine with the scenario that The Mavs will be playing for the 8th seed, no problem.
Are we talking about trading Dirk this summer? If so, he's still going to be a guy turning 38 in mid-June. While he's still obviously a great, great player, who is going to give a first-round pick for him? The teams that would be interested for him are going to be contenders, so even if we got a first-rounder for him, it's probably going to be a really low one. And I think we can agree that the lower end of the first round is mostly a crap shoot.

Not to mention, Dirk getting traded also means that he would have opted in, and I just don't see any way that sequence of events unfolds that way. If Dirk wants to leave, he opts out and signs for at least the ~$8.7M that we owe him.

If you're talking about us trading him next season at the deadline, I suspect we get less than a late first-rounder (or at least a first-rounder that we wouldn't get immediately).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melonhead View Post
I can honestly see dirk retiring after this season. Seeing how the mavs are got damn pathetic there's no reason for him to stick around. He's said as long as he's having fun...this season mostly does not look like fun.
If he was struggling, I would agree, but man.... Dirk has been white-hot these past couple of weeks. It wouldn't shock me if he retired, but I fully expect him to return next season and probably at least one more season after that. It'll be interesting to see, either way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
Matthews clearly was a good system player for Portland because he isn't a good player for the Mavs.

I'm not all too surprised by the loss and even less surprised that Matthews is still terrible.
I don't really care for the phrase "system player," especially using it with a negative connotation like you seemingly were. To me, his role here is basically the same as it was in Portland and Utah... the difference is, he's just been really bad. I suspect he is going to be at least modestly better next season as he continues to recover from the Achilles, since the turnaround time on that type of injury is generally about eighteen months. If we're at this point next year and he isn't at least 80% of the player that he was in Portland, then yeah I think we can probably say the signing was a mistake. But I will continue to argue that it was the right type of move to make to hopefully build another winner here.

That said, if we can salary dump him this summer en route to adding a top-flight free agent in addition to keeping Parsons, we absolutely have to.
spreedom is offline   Reply With Quote