View Single Post
Old 03-17-2016, 09:16 AM   #67
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by spreedom View Post
I don't really care for the phrase "system player," especially using it with a negative connotation like you seemingly were. To me, his role here is basically the same as it was in Portland and Utah... the difference is, he's just been really bad. I suspect he is going to be at least modestly better next season as he continues to recover from the Achilles, since the turnaround time on that type of injury is generally about eighteen months. If we're at this point next year and he isn't at least 80% of the player that he was in Portland, then yeah I think we can probably say the signing was a mistake. But I will continue to argue that it was the right type of move to make to hopefully build another winner here.

That said, if we can salary dump him this summer en route to adding a top-flight free agent in addition to keeping Parsons, we absolutely have to.
Well I certainly think he benefitted from more talent around him in Portland. Perhaps if the Mavs can add such talent, then he might be OK. Although offensively the Mavs do have a decent amount of firepower that still somehow isn't fully clicking like it should be.

And if the Achilles injury takes 18 months to recover from, then why on earth is he playing the most minutes of any Mav this season? The two just don't add up.

I think what bugs me the most is that Matthews really didn't need to be the same player he was in Portland for this to be a success. Hell, if he had been 60% of the player he was, then we probably have the 5th seed locked up. But there are just far too many games where I'm not sure if he is even 20% of that same player.

Last edited by DevinHarriswillstart; 03-17-2016 at 09:38 AM.
DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote