View Single Post
Old 03-07-2006, 01:16 PM   #1
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default ESPN Insider - 3/07/06

Chat with John Hollinger

Welcome to The Show! On Monday, NBA columnist John Hollinger will stop by to chat about the season.

SportsNation John Hollinger: Greetings everyone, lots of question already so let's get talking.

Jeremy Mayland: How can they not put Allen Iverson on the Olympic team after all that he has done for the NBA?

SportsNation John Hollinger: That's probably the most common question I've heard asked this week -- the announcers during the Wizards-Sixers game wouldn't shut up about it. I think a couple things are at play here First, for all the things he does under NBA rules, Iverson is a much less effective player internationally, which was obvious for all to see in Athens, because five defenders are waiting for him at the rim. Because of that, there was a real risk that he wasn't going to make the team, and Coach K would have to be The Guy Who Cut Iverson. So part of me wonders if Colangelo's decision wasn't partly made to help spare his coach the agony.

Joel, Phoenix: Is the Most Improved Player award in the bag? Diaw seems to flirt with a triple-double every game!

SportsNation John Hollinger: As somebody who saw how bad he was in Atlanta, I can't even imagine voting for somebody else for this award.

Chris, Miami, Fl: Couldn't Alonzo Mourning be considered a legitimate 6th Man of the Year candidate?

SportsNation John Hollinger: What makes it hard for him is the reduced minutes. He's going against players who will have 500 or more minutes more than he does, which is the same reason nobody voted for Donyell Marshall a year ago. In terms of per-minute effectiveness, yes, he's been the best, but playing time probably will prevent him from winning.

Jeff: (Salt Lake City, UT): Is Jerry Sloan's offense the problem for the Jazz or is it players lack of whatever?

SportsNation John Hollinger: The problem in Utah is that it's become a guard-oriented league, but they're still trying to pound the ball inside on every play. Or rather, they're forced to pound it inside on every play, because their guards aren't any good. Utah badly needs to invest in a shooter over the summer, because these Gordan Giricek/Devin Brown discount models they've been importing of late aren't getting it done.

Keith (San Antonio, TX): The Spurs almost pulled off a trade for J.R. Smith before the deadline. Would it have been a good move stats-wise?

SportsNation John Hollinger: Based on the deal as I was told, it would have been an absolute fleecing. Smith shouldn't have been starting last year, but based on both the numbers and the visuals he has the ability to be a big-time scorer.

CK: McLean, VA: Should the Wiz want to play the Nets or the Cavs in the first round of the playoffs?

SportsNation John Hollinger: If I was Washington, I would much rather play New Jersey. Cleveland can play LeBron all 48 in a playoff game if they need to, plus they might have Hughes back.

Willie (Long Island, NY): John, this has been troubling me for a while. Everyone always talks about needing a big man to take them to the next level, and here KG is about to miss the playoffs for the second straight year. Perhaps it's not as simple as people make it out to be, eh?

SportsNation John Hollinger: The issue here is that because it's a superstar driven league, people tend to focus all the credit or all the blame for a team's success on a team's best player. This is taking things way, way too far, however. Garnett is still one of the very best players in the league, but he's surrounded by a garbage dump (and his team has been a bit unlucky in terms of wins/losses as well), so they're heading to the lottery. But anyone who thinks Garnett isn't better than say, Chauncey Billups, just because his team wins less, is kidding themselves.

Alex (Manhattan Beach, CA): Would you trade Marion for Garnett in the off season? As good as Garnett is - does Marion fit in too perfectly with D'Antoni's system?

SportsNation John Hollinger: If I won the title I wouldn't do it, because there's no need to mess with that kind of success. Otherwise, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Jay (Burke, VA): John, the LA Times is the only one to report Jimmy Jackson to the Lakers...is it not finalized yet? And if it does, how much will he help? Thanks.

SportsNation John Hollinger: When I saw JJ with Phoenix earlier this year he looked D-U-N done. I'd be surprised if he has much to offer the Lakers.

Antony (Tempe, AZ): Do you think the SUNS have a shot at the title? Even without Amare, they are playing out of their minds right now and they have gotten a deeper bench.

SportsNation John Hollinger: I think the Suns absolutely have a shot at the title, even without Amare. But the smart money is still on San Antonio -- their two best players have been hurt all year and they're 46-12.

Drew (Atlanta, GA): How much do you keep up with the stats hounds in the other sports (in particularly baseball)? What do you think the NBA could learn from them?

SportsNation John Hollinger: Not much during the season, but I try to do a lot of catch-up reading in the summer. In general, I think basketball could learn a lot from them, although there's a danger of taking baseball methods off the shelf and not adjusting them to the very different realities of this sport.

Dave (Flagstaff, AZ): Hey John. I guess this is a Suns chat. Although Tim Thomas is a great athlete and all, I'm still confused why the Suns went out and got him. They already have a deep bench (with Stoudemire coming back soon) and great chemistry, why would you go messing around with that? Do you agree with this move?

SportsNation John Hollinger: I didn't see their bench as being that deep -- effective, yes, but with a fairly short rotation. And now that Kurt Thomas is out and now it looks like James Jones will be on the shelf for a while too, their hand was forced. It was either sign Tim Thomas or start preparing for the Tskitishvili Era.

Mike (Chicago): How is it that a system makes such a difference to a player? Boris Diaw goes from a stiff to a dominant player. Why don't other teams try the system the Suns are using?

SportsNation John Hollinger: I'm not sure it was "system" as much as "position" in Diaw's case -- Phoenix moved him from shooting guard to power forward. There certainly are other teams that could benefit from playing the Suns' style because of all the freedom it allows, but if you're saying it benefits everybody who goes there, I'd ask Jim Jackson and Walter McCarty for a second opinion.

Tim (Toledo): Hollinger, Sheridan likes Parker as the MVP--a giant stretch, methinks. However, all the reason he likes Parker seem a strong case do give Pop Coach of the Year. This is especially the case if San Antonio winds up with the league's best record, quite a definite possibility. What do you think?

SportsNation John Hollinger: It's funny how three people can watch the same games and see things completely differently -- both Sheridan and Stein nominated MVPs that I wouldn't put in the top five on my ballot. My scorecard still has a razor-thin four-way race between LeBron, Wade, Dirk and Elton Brand, and of the four I'm really not sure which one I'd pick right now.

George , Columbus OH: John, love your stuff...My Cavs have just picked up 2 wins after a bad losing streak....do you see us going into the dumps like the last 2 years or do you think we can hold onto the 4th spot until Hughes gets back???

SportsNation John Hollinger: I don't see a collapse being imminent, especially with the Flip addition -- a nice save by Ferry after Damon Jones flamed out. Cavs will probably play .500 the rest of the way, so I don't know if they can hold off Indy and Washington for No. 4, but they'll make the playoffs.

Oong (Riverside): Any chance the Lakers or Hornets dropping out of a playoff spot? I still think Rockets and Kings have a legit shot at making the playoffs. what do you think?

SportsNation John Hollinger: I think both teams still are very vulnerable-- the Hornets because they aren't as good as their record, the Lakers because if Kobe pulls a hammy or turns an ankle they're looking at a prolonged slump. Sacramento will make a run at one of those spots, but I think the others may have too much ground to make up.

Joey (Port St. Lucie): If you had to have one guy be the 'shooter' on Team USA, who would it be? Ray Allen? Mike Redd? Redick?

SportsNation John Hollinger: I think Ray was their first choice but he won't be making the trip. Redd is their second choice, and Billups their third, but they aren't coming either. That's why I wouldn't be shocked to see Joe Johnson make the team -- he showed in Phoenix last year what he can do on catch-and-shoot set-ups, and he'll get a ton of those in Japan.

Willie (Long Island, NY): John, the point guard options for the US team this summer seem a little thin, especially with Billups not being there. Do Paul AND Ridnour make it? I like Arenas, but is he the "true" role-playing PG the US needs?

SportsNation John Hollinger: I think people are vastly overrating the importance of having a pass-first point guard on the team. LeBron and Kobe are doing all the heavy lifting, folks, our point guard just needs to be able to shoot when he's left wide open. That was the problem with Marbury last year, not his passing. Arenas will be just fine.

Nikki (Minny, MN): John- The Clips lost two in a row. While they seem pretty set for the playoffs... they are the Clips, so a complete tank at the end of the season wouldn't be THAT suprising (plus it would be great to see Chris Sheridan cry). Of all the teams in the lottery so far in the West, who do you see sneaking in at the last minute (if anyone)?

SportsNation John Hollinger: Not sure if a collapse would elicit tears from Sheridan -- hey, he's tougher than you think -- but he does like that gang in L.A. I think LA will rebound a bit now that Maggette is back and they have a few more guys who can get them buckets, but if they were to collapse Sacramento would be the main beneficiary.

Mat (Scottsdale, AZ): Nash isn't in your top 4 for MVP? What? Nearly everyone on the Suns are having career years thanks to Nash, not to mention Amare's been out. Like Stein said, where would the Suns record be if it was Nash that was out all season. All that Rogaine is making you loopy.

SportsNation John Hollinger: Not buying it -- The "Where would we be if Player X was out all season" argument can be used convincingly for just about every major star in the league. And if Rogaine was the problem I'd look like Luke Schensher in my photo.

Mark (Hampton VA): Why wasn't Kirk Hinrich considered to be on team USA???

SportsNation John Hollinger: He was, quite seriously. Our Chris Sheridan reported Colangelo met with him earlier this year, and the two apparently decided it wouldn't work.

Danielle, Sedona AZ: Hi John, I was wondering if you took into consideration the fact that the PER statistics over value role players and undervalue superstars because fatigue should come into play with many superstars playing bigger minutes?

SportsNation John Hollinger: Many people think that and, in fact, when I started doing this type of research I thought that. But in general, the opposite tends to be true -- the more minutes a player gets, the better he tends to perform, even on a per-minute basis. There are exceptions -- Michael Sweetney, for instance, might have a heart attack if he played 40 minutes -- but in general it holds.

John (San Antonio): If you're not buying the "where would they be without Nash" argument, then what's your argument for Dirk, LeBron, Wade, and Brand?

SportsNation John Hollinger: That's my whole point. The 'where would they be" argument does nothing to separate the top candidates, unless you want to split hairs over who's backup is less pathetic.

Patrick(Indianapolis): I think Brand is a great player but how can he be an MVP candidate when he is not who made the Clippers better...The addition of Sam Cassell and Mobley are what made the Clips better.

SportsNation John Hollinger: I know that the temptation is strong to say "Clips got Cassell, Clips got better, so Sam made Clips better." But the third part of the argument is a huge leap. To me, the biggest difference is that Brand is in much better shape, raining in jumners all over the place and is killing people with that running hook shot -- all things he didn't do a year ago.

Willhouse (Chucktown, SC): How about a Pistons question Hollinger?? Should I be worried that they are getting weary? Will there be enough in the tank if they hold on to homecourt advantage throughout the playoffs?

SportsNation John Hollinger: I wouldn't worry too much about that -- they were bound to hit a lull at some point in an 82-game schedule. The bigger worry is that, after being healthy all year, somebody will roll an ankle in April and force them to rely on the bench in the playoffs. It's an improved unit, but Detroit still needs all five starters healthy to win in June.

Brandon Phx AZ: Why is it every time MVP comes up it is so much about the team's record? These guys are not GM's, they don't decide who plays with them. All they can do is play there best. That brings guys like Kobe, Bosh, Pierce back into the conversation.

SportsNation John Hollinger: You're preaching to the choir. I still don't have those guys on my MVP ballot -- I don't think Pierce and Bosh have quite been good enough, and it's hard to vote for Kobe after he forced out Shaq -- but given a bad enough GM, it's perfectly possible for a player to play at an MVP level and still have his team go something like 40-42. For some reason, nobody seems to believe this.

Ryan, Edinburgh: Why did Kobe get suspended for two games for elbowing Mike Miller and Rasheed only get a fine for elbowing 'Z? They both made it clear by theiir comments afterwards that it was intentional...

SportsNation John Hollinger: If we're comparing, Kobe's elbow was much more vicious, but I though 'Sheed's still merited a one-game vist to the penalty box.

Ben (Williamsburg, Brooklyn): John - you're amazing. Tell me what you think of Darko now, post-trade? Seems his per-minute production has skyrocketed now that he's got some minutes. Why is no one talking about this yet?

SportsNation John Hollinger: I want to see a few more games before I weigh in -- the 6-for-7 game was nice, but some other games less so. The one thing that's immediately apparent is that his shot-block rate in Detroit was no fluke -- if he starts he'll be right near the league lead in blocks.

Mat (Scottsdale, AZ): So you're keeping Kobe off your ballot bc you don't like his personality. And Nash isn't in your top 5, ESPN needs to run a criminal background check on you. This is crazy talk.

SportsNation John Hollinger: Wow ... The posts from Arizona and Southern California just went through the roof, but yours is the first to combine the venom of both audiences.

P (NYC): What about Redick for Team USA? Scouts have said he'd already be one of the 5 best shooters in the NBA. Aside from Allen and Redd, isn't he the best pure shooter invited to tryouts?

SportsNation John Hollinger: Redick will make the trip, but he'll probably be on the three-man taxi squad along with Morrison and either Dwight Howard or Greg Oden. Unless 10 more guys bail, that is.

David (NYC): Since Phoenix and So Cal are disrespecting you, take a question from NYC...now that the Nets couldn't land Ely, Wilcox or Tim Thomas, does it have a chance to go deep into the playoffs?

SportsNation John Hollinger: I don't think so. I've been really disappointed with the Nets all year -- the big three are doing well but the bench has let them down and the bigs aren't pulling their weight. Any night Vince doesn't score 30 they're very beatable.

matt (atl): John, please answer a question about my beloved Hawks, even though you trashed them in the rookie and sophomore reviews, I think that deep down you like J. Smith, J. Childress, and Marvin Williams. How are their games coming along and what does the future hold for Al Harrington and the hawks?

SportsNation John Hollinger: I'm very impressed with Childress actually -- not only because of his high TS%, but because he contributes across the board, kind of like a very-very-very-poor man's Shawn Marion. Wiliams is coming around, I still think he'll be a deadly pick-and-pop guy in two years once he starts shooting 3s instead of long 2s, but it's too early to say what else will develop. As for Smith, one thing people don't realize about him is he's a really good passer. But the J still needs work and more importantly he needs to keep his head in the game -- he tends to drift at times. Needless to say, with those three all looking like decent pros at worst, Harrington is sign-and-trade bait this summer.

SportsNation John Hollinger: Folks, that's all the time I have, but we'll do this again same time next week. Thanks again for all the great questions.
-------------------------------------------------------

Chat with Marc Stein

Welcome to The Show! On Tuesday, ESPN.com senior NBA writer Marc Stein will drop by to talk about the NBA season at hand.

Send your questions now and join Marc in The Show, Tuesday at 11 a.m. ET!

Stein Archive: Chats | Columns

SportsNation Marc Stein: Hello, all. We come to you today from New Orleans. I'll stay as long as I can, but lots of people to talk to and lots of things to see as the NBA returns for the first time post-Katrina. Big week down here.

Keith (San Antonio, TX): Tony got the All-Star nod, so Diaw can have the Most Improved trophy. My question is which Frenchman is more important to their team's success?

SportsNation Marc Stein: Good start. I'd say Parker shades that because, with Duncan and Ginobili not all there, he has become a primary offensive weapon for the Spurs. But the Diaw we're seeing regularly now is closing that gap, because he gives the Suns another playmaker who's hard to match up with.

Anthony (Detroit): Marc, will the Pistons cut back the minutes of their starters at the expense of getting the league's best record? Best record would be nice, but if the starters are exhausted come playoff time, it might not be worth it.

SportsNation Marc Stein: That's what they're pondering as we speak. The good news for the Pistons is that they're pretty much done with the tough travel.

Daryl (Richmond): Is the city of New Orleans really ready to host an NBA game tomorrow night? What is the vibe around town like? Are people excited?

SportsNation Marc Stein: From what I've seen so far, yes. Haven't been to the arena yet, but they've just started holding events there and the tickets for three games here are selling well. I get the feeling that the Hornets will have a bigger home-court advantage against the Lakers than they expect.

Ryan (Norman): Marc- Do you see Chicago catching up with Milwuakee for the 8th spot in the East? If they don't, do you think it was a mistake by Chicago to not go after some size at the trade deadline?

SportsNation Marc Stein: No mistake. The smart move is saving that cap flexibility until the summertime when there are more trade options. No sense rushing under deadline pressure to get obliterated by Detroit in the first round.

carmel, IN: How do you think the Pacers will do once Tinsley and O'Neal get back into action. I think that they can be real winners come playoff time. Even possibly beat Detroit........

SportsNation Marc Stein: Can't agree with you if they're the eighth seed. I give them a puncher's chance to beat Miami in the first round and then I'd probably pick them against anyone else they could see in Round 1 . . . including Jersey if the Nets don't wake up here. I'm that big of Carlisle fan.

Craig (Bensalem, Pa.): Despite Sunday's heartbreaker, I'm very optimistic about what the 76ers are doing right now. Based on the current play of the Nets and the remaining schedules of both teams, which favors Philly, what do you think of the Sixers shot of grabbing the division title and staying away from the Heat and Pistons?

SportsNation Marc Stein: I want to agree with you. But I'm not there yet. The way AI and Webber started the season, complimenting each other so well, I thought that Philly had sorted those two out and could now focus on getting the pieces around them right. But this team is still so up and down that such declarations are best withheld. I do know that Webber badly wants to make this work. I had a good chat with him recently and you can check the Midweek Dime late tonight (or tomorrow) to hear his take.

Joseph (Detroit, Mi): Hi Marc; now that you've had a chance to see Darko actually play extended minutes for a few games, what are your current thoughts on the trade?

SportsNation Marc Stein: Same thing I thought when it happened. Great gamble by the Magic and something the Pistons had to do because they can't break up the five starters and can't afford to pay them all and pay Darko. In a few years, I won't be surprised if Piston fans regret Darko's departure and miss Okur, too. But they'd be unhappier if one of the five starters were shipped out instead.

Andy - SacTown: Marc- Kings have been surging lately with some impressive wins on the road. Do they make they playoffs and make some noise while there?

SportsNation Marc Stein: Surging is a bit strong. They're only 12-7 with Artest. But the Lakers, Hornets and even the Grizz have shown some signs of vulnerability. If the Kings can win a few more on the road, they can sneak in. But I don't see them winning a round even if they drew Denver.

Brad (Dallas, TX): Dirk struggled in the playoffs last year. This past week Bruce Bowen made him look human again. Is it Dirk's fault or is Avery not making the right adjustments to get Dirk going in the big games?

SportsNation Marc Stein: "Fault" is the wrong word. The problem is personnel. Nowitzki has been chewing up smaller guys this season after his playoff struggles, but there is always going to be a defender or two who gives even the best of the best problems . . . and Bowen and Marion are those guys for Nowitzki. In those rare cases, even Nowitzki could use some help. But the Mavs have no one who can create an easy shot for him. No one.

Mike (Houston): hi, Marc, do you think Yao's recent strong play is a fluke?

SportsNation Marc Stein: I think someone told him about that recent player poll in a national magazine that had him first or second on the list of Most Overrated Players in the league. He's been rolling ever since.

Alex (Miami, FL): Hi Marc, do you see the Heat as an elite team down the stretch, or did they hit the sweet spot in their schedule?

SportsNation Marc Stein: You tell me? Have you really been impressed by Miami's play since the Detroit game? Or are they simply doing just enough to beat these cupcakes? Can't ignore the fact that Wade has missed the last couple games, but the Heat's remaining schedule is so favorable that they can't really be punished.

kj (kent, oh): once again, hollinger proves he's the smartest nba'er in the espn crew because he ACCURATELY states that the MVP arguement used so frequently that "where would team A be without player X" could be used for nearly ANY team, yet people of your ilk continue to use it for nash while dissin', say LBJ, when everyone knows the cavs would be the worst team in the league with out LBJ. care to comment?

SportsNation Marc Stein: Sure. Hollinger is my favorite professor this side of Cal State Fullerton but he's never going to sway me (or the majority of voters) on this subject. Why? Because LeBron leading the Cavs to a fourth-place finish in the East or AI getting the Sixers to seventh or eighth or Kobe carrying the Lakers to a playoff berth all by himself isn't all that VALUABLE in the grand scheme of things. Winning holds the greatest value. Which is why MVPs almost always come from teams that win the most. If memory serves, the average win total for MVPs in the last 20 years is around 55.

Majeed: Actually, the Lakers would be by far the worst team in the league without their superstar! 10 wins max!

SportsNation Marc Stein: Right. If you use the Take Player X Off His Team formula, Kobe would be the favorite over LeBron anyway.

dan (milwaukee): How much longer does Coach Stotts last in Milwaukee? The team's talent level is too good to be a .500 team and they might even miss the playoffs.

SportsNation Marc Stein: I agree with you on Milwaukee's talent. They should be closer to fourth or fifth in the East than the lottery. This is only Stotts' first year and the team has been redone, but there will be a search for scapegoats if this group -- with all its frontcourt depth -- doesn't at least finish eighth.

Jeremy (Phoenix, AZ): Morning Marc. In your honest opinion with the news of Amare having fluid in his other knee, do you believe he will be back to playing this season?

SportsNation Marc Stein: Haven't changed my opinion from Day 1. Amare should sit out the season. Fluid or no fluid.

Keith (Atlanta, Ga): What about Coach Woodson, or MOST IMPORTANTLY Billy Knight, how long do they last? If Colangelo could land in Toronto, that means R.C. Buford could land in Atlanta, right?

SportsNation Marc Stein: I'd definitely make the call if Atlanta gets to that point, but I don't see R.C. leaving the Spurs. Bryan Colangelo's father sold the team. That should have been a signal to everyone that the Colangelos' involvement with the Suns was not going to last forever. San Antonio is different.

Ryan,Boston,MA: Are the Celtics a title contender 1-2 years from right now?

SportsNation Marc Stein: The kids are still closer to PROMISING than DEVELOPED. West, Perkins and Jefferson have all shown flashes. Gomes, too. The four of them, with Wally, are a good start for a supporting cast around Pierce but not enough to talk about contention.

Cathal, Limerick,Ireland: Marc,is the Spurs v Pistons rematch the mortal lock everyone is talking about or can Dallas,Phoenix or Miami actually crash the party? Also, how impressed are you with Stuart Pierce for his stewardship of your beloved Manchester City?

SportsNation Marc Stein: Thankfully it's not a mortal lock. The uncertainty is mostly in the West, but thankfully it's not a done deal. I would still pick San Antonio to beat Dallas and then Phoenix (with or without Amare) in Rounds 2 and 3, but slugging it out with the Mavs and then dealing with a switch to the Suns' tempo won't be so simple, Especially since even Duncan admits that he's not going to be 100 percent for the rest of the season.

SportsNation Marc Stein: It's still much more of a lock in the East, no matter how weary Detroit has looked lately. I still don't want to hear about the Heat turning it on in the playoffs because we still don't know if this team has an ON switch. They're literally submitted one impressive performance all season. One. You could get away saying Shaq's Lakers had an ON-and-OFF switch because we had proof that LA had another gear. Until the Heat prove it in the playoffs, we can't talk about it.

SportsNation Marc Stein: And thanks for mentioning Psycho. Manager of every trimester in the Premiership.

SportsNation Marc Stein: We'll do it again next week everyone. Thanks for all the questions. Check back tonight for the Midweek Dime with Webb and check back Wednesday for lots of New Orleans coverage from me and others.

Last edited by Evilmav2; 03-07-2006 at 01:22 PM.
Evilmav2 is offline   Reply With Quote