View Single Post
Old 07-09-2007, 09:23 AM   #45
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry_VIII
That's not entirely true. The survival of the game of basketball is not dependent upon money. However, the amount of cash flowing into the business does make it tempting to put the game on the back burner.

I don't see it as all business or all sport. I see it as a mixture of both. However, the sport side must be allowed to play out without interference. So far, I think the system is working fine. Yi's agents (ie the Chinese government) are throwing a hissy-fit and the Bucks are holding ground. As long as Stern doesn't interfere and force the Bucks into a trade, I have no problems with how this is playing out.
But my original point still stands. The draft is primarily for the benefit of the teams. If the team and Yi can't come to an agreement then the Bucks can trade him away or let him sit out for a year. The only outcome that would tick me off is where the Bucks get stiff-armed into giving up Yi for practically nothing for the sake of the NBA business.
In the interest of the game, and international pressure -- I am guessing that eventually Stern tells Mil to trade him or Mil decides that the hassle isn't worth it. Either way Mil - I expect to get all they can for him. This really isn't much different than any other rookie holdout, except the issue isn't money.

I will actually be surprised if Mil didn't draft him for a trade with someone anyway. I can see Terry in Mil for someone and Yi. I can see several options for him in GS. Houston might make a play for him and it might be a good idea to unite him and Yao together.

I haven't checked out the players, numbers, or anything, but James, TMac, Battier, Yi and Yao sounds like a lineup that could be very good in 2-3 years.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote