View Single Post
Old 06-19-2008, 09:20 AM   #569
WayOutWest
Golden Member

WayOutWest is a jewel in the roughWayOutWest is a jewel in the roughWayOutWest is a jewel in the roughWayOutWest is a jewel in the roughWayOutWest is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog
It wasn't just teammates - Jordan stepped his game up as well... MJ was still pretty young when the Pistons put the clamps on, but he eventually figured out how to beat the Jordan Rule and went on to sweep the Pistons in the '91 Eastern Conference Finals before winning his first ring...

Kobe has no excuse for getting locked down... Sure, his teammates need to step up, but when they don't, Kobe (like Mike) needs to throw down 40+ points and hope his team shows up the next game...

Sure, Pippen/Grant/Cartwright/Armstrong/Paxson is a better supporting cast than Gasol/Odom/Fisher/Radmanovic/Walton (hell, you could toss Bynum in there too)... BUT look at the teams each cast had to overcome:

90-91 Lakers - Magic Johnson, James Worthy, Byron Scott, Sam Perkins, Vlade Divac, A.C. Green

07-08 Celtics - Kevin Garnett, Paul Pierce, Ray Allen, Rajon Rondo, James Posey, Kendrick Perkins

Kobe will NEVER be like Mike!
I don't think MJ figured out the "Jordan Rules" as much as the rules did not work once Pippen/Grant/Cartwright/Paxson started pulling their own weight. I do think Kobe could and SHOULD have done more at the games at home. I think he went off for 38 in one game but I was really disappointed in his inability to close out game 4. MJ would have found a way to win that game after his team mates could not hold on to a 24 point lead.

Kobe is not as good as MJ, Kobe does a few things better but overall MJ has a more complete package and 6 rings which put him above Kobe. Kobe is not MJ but he is the closest thing we will probably see unless LeBron decides to play consistent defense. If LeBron were to become a very good defender he would be better than both Kobe and MJ, the guy is amazing. Since MJ's retirement there has not been as good a back court player as Kobe, the challengers came and went, Carter/T-Mac/Wade/etc.., only King James has the ability to surpass Kobe and possibly MJ IMO.

"Lakers hate causes blindness"
WayOutWest is offline   Reply With Quote