View Single Post
Old 05-23-2007, 01:37 PM   #65
alexamenos
Diamond Member

alexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninkobei
so with Ron Paul in the picture now...can we expect him to play a Ross Perot role? Obviously he has followers with the GOP.
I would say that he has followers who have occassionally voted for the GOP because the GOP, historically, has pretended to believe some of the things that Paul professes and practices. Personally, I've always thought the Republican party was as corrupt and worthless as the Democratic party, and I believe the last 8 years have proven me unequivocally correct. But aside from patting myself on the back.......

Pt being, there's two kind of GOP Paul backers -- 1) the GOP Party Member; and 2) the advocate of Paul's brand of strict constructionist libertarianism who in the past has been suckered into voting for the GOP. Of these two types of Paul - backers, GOP Party Members are very few and far between -- these are the guys doing what they can to keep Paul off the stage in future events. The other type will follow Paul to a third party (after he is inevitably chased off the GOP stage), or probably just stay home this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninkobei
The question is, will he take away the Republicans votes or Democrat
neither....

...the votes he will garner (if any) will come from people who aren't interested in the Republican or Democratic candidte in the first place.

I would say this was true of the Perot or Naders voters as well -- the idea that Perot *took* votes from the elder Bush or that Nader *took* votes from Gore is just sour grapes from partisans who backed deeply flawed and unappealing candidates.

Cheers