View Single Post
Old 10-27-2003, 04:51 PM   #43
superheadcat

superheadcat is on a distinguished road
Default RE:Lil' Whistle pitches Sabonis

wow, the idea of having sabonis in mavs uniform gets most of us salivated. but honestly, this remains at most "a swing and a miss" so far.

i can see a distinct possibility in dallas: donnie's tie with lithuania, mavs' champ chance, and mavs roster's nice guy image, and most importantly, a real need for his service.
if he does decide to come back to nba, i cannot see a better place than mavs.

with that all said, from what i read, it won't surprise me if he retired for good this time: he bought the major stake of his team zalgiris, and had this to say about his leaving nba:
"I had kind of ended my career and said it's enough. Then I played for one more year. The next year could have been in Portland again. Anyway, everything converges into one thing - one has to make up one's mind. While I'm still riding the wave, while someone says hello to me, recognises me, I have to use it and do something for "Zalgiris". When no one will say hello and will forget - then it's harder to do something for the team. Come on, "Zalgiris" has such a history, and now finds itself in such a position - it's embarassing. It makes you want to change something"

a totally admirable man.

although it remains a dream, we as mavs fans do have the previlege of dreaming about him.