View Single Post
Old 06-12-2009, 12:24 PM   #15
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavsFanFinley View Post
I don't expect them in the playoffs this season but every rebuilding team has to start somewhere. They've put themselves in great position with trades they've made with a young core that has some experience at least. They'll be able to add 3 more pieces to that so the Maloofs will defenitely want to see some improvement this season for sure.

They have 4 starters locked in with Hawes, Thompson, Nocioni, and Martin. Westphal will play young guys and give rookies all the chances they can handle so I think Udrih moves to the bench should Rubio, Flynn, Holiday, Evans, whatever pg they select plays well enough to start.

The problem is filling out the bench. Udrih, Garcia, and Green is a nice start but they have some more work there.
Right, I agree with all of that...but I think it's going to take a pretty poised season or so to keep Paul in the HC spot. Sure they'll lose a lot of games but can they maybe beat some of those elite teams over the course of the year...can they stay close? Scott Brooks for the Thunder is who I'm thinking of who is a young coach who is probably being given the support and time for the situation to actually grow into something good, with other cases they're just not given the time.

So if there is only 1, 2, or 3 instances over the past few years where a coach is actually given some rope...it's hard to suggest that Paul can get the same window. I think it's even more difficult when the owners are bleeding money big time, they need change quick. That's not Westphal's problem...but it doesn't help his cause. Maybe it's a case where they do have the talent and the next coach ends up getting the credit because they "clicked" on his watch, that's happened before plenty of times.