View Single Post
Old 01-04-2003, 12:02 PM   #59
David
Golden Member

David is on a distinguished road

I'm beginning to think that Nelson is a coach that gets his players to play hard in the regular season, most of the time. It's reflected in his team's regular season record.

Other coaches manage to get varying degrees of performance out of THEIR teams. This makes Nelson's team look better than they are, record-wise, and some of the other teams look WORSE than they are, record-wise. When the playoffs start, the other teams either step it up, or not, while Nelson's team is already pretty much maxing out.

I figure most of the coaching is pretty well even among the better teams, so Nelson has no advantage in the playoffs. The better teams, with better talent, pass Nelson's team in the playoffs, because they are simply better. Nelson has created unrealistic expectations due to an inflated regular season record. Talent wins out in the playoffs.

I'm thinking the Mavs are number 2, or number 3, in overall talent this year. Other teams have talent in areas that give the Mavs trouble. I think the Kings, and perhaps the Pacers, have better overall talent. The Lakers with Shaq and the Spurs with Duncan have talent in areas that the Mavs have no defensive answer for.

I, therefore, think Nelson loses in the playoffs because someone else has the better team. When Nelson gets the best talent, or even talent, his team should win. There ARE coaches that seem to have his number, as far as head to head matches go among seemingly even team. Popovich in San Antonio is one. Whether it's familiarity or not, I don't know. I think the talent between SA and the Mavs is fairly even. Duncan being the matchup problem but it looks like Dirk ought to be a problem for THEM too.
David is offline   Reply With Quote