Thread: Diop or Bradley
View Single Post
Old 02-20-2006, 02:33 PM   #97
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

I always contended that part of the problem with Bradley as Mavs center, particularly the last couple years, was that there was no adequate backup. When Bradley left the game, the Mavs had to adopt a markedly different defensive approach. It is no coincidence that the year the Mavs had Bradley and LaFrentz to serve basically as interchangeable parts, they had the best defensive season in team history.

This sort of consistency in style is a large reason why this year's Mavs are getting good play from the center position. All the centers can play more or less the same role in the defensive system, which allows the other position players to do the same. There is no "trickle-down effect" caused by Dirk having to rotate to the five and so forth.

This makes the centers look (and play) better, and so too the other players and the defense as a whole.

That said, I have no doubt in my mind that a center trio of Bradley/Diop/Dampier, with Benga in case you need him, would quite literally strike fear in the hearts of Mavericks foes.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote