View Single Post
Old 07-07-2009, 10:50 PM   #409
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg View Post
Exactly. His deal doesn't HAVE to start at anything. He's had a week to get a better deal than the MLE (get a deal at the MLE?), and it hasn't happened.

Now, the short term deal idea occured to me before. The Mavs could be telling him: "Take a one-year deal at a good rate, and try it again next summer, when much more money will be available. We'll tell Jason to throw you lots of passes and pad your stats." If Toronto renounces him, the Bird rights are gone. How long does it take to get those back? Will they be conveyed to us in a sign-and-trade? If the answers to those questions are what I think they are, a wait-and-see one-year deal makes a lot of sense. This idea of a 9.5MM contract seems to fall in line with that.

After all, if for whatever reason Marion didn't work out here, wouldn't we like that expiring deal at the trade deadline? It's all about the flexibility of the assets, baby. If we are going to spend some on Marion, we certainly would like to keep our options open.
It takes three years to get full Bird rights back. And yes, they transfer in a trade.

I doubt he's looking for a one year deal though. Does he realy want to hit free agency when so many big stars are going to hit? It's a good thought by you though.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote