View Single Post
Old 05-03-2006, 10:40 AM   #20
orangedays
Platinum Member

orangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32
Ok, I have no feelings about what happened with Kwame one way or the other, but your logic is WAY off base.

You really think that women never struggle with the decision on whether or not to come forward after being sexually assaulted? Really?? Honestly?? You really don't think thousands of women are a victim of sexual assault and never tell ANYONE about it? Sexual assault is a very humiliating, violating experience. Women make the wrong decision and keep it to the themselves all the time.

Is it really that far fetched to think that she simply didn't know what to do, finally confided in the correct person, and that person got her to come forward?

Again, I have no clue what the situation is, and I don't have an opinion one way or the other. But to say that because she didn't scream it from the rooftops 5 minutes after it happened she must by lying is just plain silly.
My logic? The logic that I used to build an opinionated conclusion on the matter? It would appear that you (and mary's) understanding of what I am trying to say is flawed.

I agree with you, it's certainly not far-fetched to believe that she struggled with the decision to come forward. It is equally not far-fetched to believe that she is doing this for the money, not because Kwame actually sexually assaulted her. Neither conclusion is wrong at this point - I don't understand why you and mary have such a problem with my opinion?

You'll note that I never said anywhere that she must be lying, or that Brown was undeniably innocent. Merely, "Based on the information available to me, I've come to a conclusion." Perhaps I should have replaced the word conclusion with the word, "opinion" to satisfy the more sensitive palates on this board.

And no, I am not saying that, "just because someone doesn't immediately report sexual assault means they must be lying." There are many reasons why women do not come out and report such a psychologically damaging episode, some of which were outlined above. I think you two are trying to blow what I am saying well out of proportion based on an imperfect understanding of what I said. Perhaps my choice of words was imperfect, allow me to fix them a little for the sake of clarity:

'I fail to see any reasonable person involved in an alleged sexual assault with such a high profile individual failing to report said sexual assault for two whole days. Though the grammar here may suggest it, I am making no statement on the psychological health or decision-making capabilities of the woman, merely the suspect timing of the complaint. In addition, the fact that the alleged assult supposedly occurred in the early morning also suggests that something is amiss to me.'

Tap the breaks. Or better yet, stomp'em. Let's try not to organize a witchhunt unnecessarily, yes?
orangedays is offline   Reply With Quote