View Single Post
Old 04-05-2006, 09:57 PM   #4
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

And now for some more on the ongoing NYK's trainwreck...

Pat explanation for Knicks' salary-cap disaster

By Chris Sheridan
ESPN Insider
Archive

If you go back more than a half-decade to the immediate aftermath of the Patrick Ewing trade, none other than Charles Barkley opined that the Knicks should be eternally confined to hell for dealing away a player who meant so much to the franchise.

Fast forward to the end of Year 1 of the Isiah Thomas/Larry Brown partnership, and the Knicks indeed find themselves in the eternal torment of salary-cap hell.

New York's payroll is projected to be upward of $125 million next season, and the Knicks have no possibility of getting underneath the salary cap for the rest of this decade.

Owner James Dolan has endorsed the string of trades that have brought more financial burden along with fewer victories, and there has been no sign whatsoever that the Knicks might stop perpetuating the formula of dealing off their expiring contracts for other high-salary players with multiple years left on their deals.

It all might have been different, however, if the Knicks had allowed Ewing to finish his career in a New York uniform. His $14 million salary would have come off the cap in the summer of 2001, and the Knicks could have dropped below the salary cap and rebuilt the standard way.

Instead, a litany of bad deals has flowed from the assets New York acquired in the Ewing trade, and that doesn't even include other deals that brought in cap killers Malik Rose (under contract for $23 million through 2008-09), Maurice Taylor (owed $9.7 million in 2006-07), Jalen Rose (owed $16.9 million next season), the $57 million extension given to Allan Houston that is now being paid by insurance or the sign-and-trade deal for Eddy Curry that will cost the Knicks their first-round pick this year and possibly next year (when the Chicago Bulls will have the right to swap picks with New York).

But beginning with the Ewing trade, the acquisition of bad contracts has snowballed. Here's a look back:

Sept. 20, 2000: Ewing is shipped to the Sonics in a four-team, 12-player trade for Luc Longley, Glen Rice, Lazaro Borrell, Travis Knight, Vladimir Stepania, two No. 1 picks and two No. 2 picks. At the time of the trade, Longley is owed nearly $21 million over three years and Rice is due roughly $8 million over each of the next two years. Ewing had asked for a trade after learning New York was shopping him, and former Garden president Dave Checketts acquiesced to his request.

Aug. 10, 2001: After he failed to fit in under coach Jeff Van Gundy, Rice is shipped off by then-general manager Scott Layden in a three-team deal with Dallas and Houston that brought Shandon Anderson ($54 million contract) and Howard Eisley ($28 million) to the Knicks. Anderson eventually took a $19 million buyout after feuding with new team president Isiah Thomas.

Jan. 5, 2004: In Thomas' first blockbuster deal, Eisley, Charlie Ward, Antonio McDyess, Maciej Lampe and two first-round picks are shipped to Phoenix for Stephon Marbury and Anfernee "Penny" Hardaway. At the time, Marbury is owed more than $85 million and Hardaway still has two full seasons left at almost $30 million.

Feb. 22, 2006: Hardaway's expiring contract is shipped along with Trevor Ariza to Orlando for Steve Francis, who is owed $49 million over the next three seasons.

Summer, 2006(?): Thomas will try to find a taker for Marbury, with the Minnesota Timberwolves perhaps the likeliest destination for two reasons: (1) The Wolves need to placate Kevin Garnett, who wants talent brought in, and (2) the Wolves also have a bevy of the type of bad contracts the Knicks specialize in acquiring. A package of Marko Jaric (signed through 2010-11), Mark Madsen (signed through '09-10) and Trenton Hassell (signed through '08-09) would work under the cap.

Chris Sheridan, a national NBA reporter for the past decade, covers the league for ESPN Insider. To e-mail Chris, click here
------------------------------------------------

Chat with Chris Broussard

Welcome to The Show! On Wednesday, ESPN.com NBA Insider Chris Broussard will be joining us.

Chris Broussard grew up in the Midwest (Cincinnati, Indianapolis, Syracuse, Des Moines and Cleveland) dreaming of being the next great tailback at USC. Instead, he became the next underachieving point guard ("I should have averaged 20'') at Oberlin College. In 1990, he launched his sportswriting career at the Cleveland Plain Dealer. Four years later, he started covering the NBA for the Akron Beacon Journal. He spent 2½ seasons as the Cleveland Cavaliers beat writer before going to the New York Times to cover the Nets (two years), the Knicks (three) and then the NBA (one). He joined ESPN The Magazine in September 2004.

SportsNation Buzzmaster: Send in those NBA questions. Chris will be here shortly!

Ryan (Philly): Can anybody in the East keep the Pistons from reaching the finals this year?

SportsNation Chris Broussard: I think Miami, if things are clicking, you have to give them a punchers chance. I would pick Detroit to beat them, but you have to give them a chance. They have two super stars. They have role players. Somewhere in James Posey's body is a defensive stopper, we haven't seen that this year, but he can do that. But I'm also beginning to be a believer in the Nets. They're not going to be an easy out. I give them a chance at beating Miami. They'll be tough to corral for Detroit. The Pistons are a good defensive team, but I think they'll have a tough time stopping both Jefferson and Carter.

Alex (Alberta Canada): Are we ever going to see the Amare Stoudemire of old? Now he's getting surgery on the other knee. Is he the next Penny Hardaway?

SportsNation Chris Broussard: Man, I hope not. I love Amare. I've spent some time with him. He's a great person. I'm not just saying that. He wants to be a superstar in basketball. I hope everything works out for him. But there's no question that this could be career altering. Penny, Webber, Mashburn, Houston have never been the same after knee injuries. Now, his new surgery won't be a micro fracture. Some guys have come back from that. The doctors say his age and injury make it likely that he'll come back. I don't know how serious the new injury is, but I think there's reason to be optimistic.

Jon (Cleveland, OH): The Cavaliers most likely will win at least 50 games this year, and LeBron have scored at least 35 points in each of the past 7 games. Why does he get no mention whenever the MVP award is discussed?

SportsNation Chris Broussard: I'm glad you brought that up. I was thinking about that today. I think LeBron has to get serious consideration. He was my preseason pick. I have been saying Nash this season, and I still favor him slightly. But LeBron is coming on hard. He's making a hard case over Dirk, Kobe. He's a strong No. 2 candidate. You look at that roster without Larry Hughes and there's not much. That roster is nothing to shout about. Steve Nash, without Amare, that roster isn't terrific either, but they have more. You could argue LeBron is doing it with less than Nash is doing it. The Cavs are not as strong as the Suns. But if you look at LeBron's numbers, they are terrific. We've seen few people in history do what he's doing. Right now, I'm leaning to Nash, but I wouldn't be in an uproar if he did get it.

David (NYC): Give it to me straight...are my Nets for real? Can they go to the Finals as presently constituted?

SportsNation Chris Broussard: They are for real and by that I mean this is a team that's playing at their maximum potential. I do think they can beat Miami. I do think they could beat Detroit. I have to give them a shot. Their main problem is that they don't have any power inside. They've been able to hide that against Shaq, mainly because he's not the Shaq of old. With Detroit, they've got guys in Rasheed who can guard the Nets guys. Detroit will do a better job of defending Carter and Jefferson than Miami will.

SportsNation Chris Broussard: Remember, when Detroit went to the finals the first time and beat the Lakers, the Nets gave Detroit all they could handle. That was a different team, but this team is a better halfcourt team. Now, with Carter and Jefferson, they can score big time in the halfcourt. Defensively, they've been strong throughout this stretch.

Dave (hong kong): Has Yao turned the corner and become a superstar or he's just in a hot streak? Thanks.

SportsNation Chris Broussard: I definitely think he has turned the corner. He's obviously a superstar when you count personality, fame, and global impact. But on the court, I'm not quite ready to call him a superstar. I only say that because I want to see Yao do that for a whole season. If he starts off next year doing the same thing, then I think you're looking at a legitimate superstar. When you look at the fact that he's healthy for the first time this year. This was also the first summer he had an adequate break. You look at Shaq slowing down a little. Yeah, I think Yao will get there next season.

Jack (Chicago): You're the Bulls GM. What do you do this summer if you can't get Garnett from the Wolves? Trade the picks for a scoring 2 guard (who?) or who do you take in the draft with their two picks?

SportsNation Chris Broussard: If I'm the Bulls, obviously you can market your picks and see what trade value there is. But I don't think you'll be able to do that. Most likely, you'll keep those picks. If I'm the Bulls, I'm looking at Joakim Noah, if he comes out. He's committed. He brings energy. He has great skills. He has some moves down low, though he'll have to bulk up. I think he'll have a decent post game. That's a team built to play fast in Chicago. They're athletic. I think Noah would be strong for them in that system. HE could be a guy that would be strong in the future. Without studying the draft in depth, I would say Noah would be a good fit. A guard, I don't think that's their most pressing need. I like Ben Gordon, he could be a very good player in this league. Hinrich is more than solid. I think the Bulls' perimeter is OK. They really miss Eddie Curry.

Brion (Denver): How far do think the Nuggets can make it in the playoffs?

SportsNation Chris Broussard: Let's see they're in the 3-6 series. If they can get to the second round, they'll get Phoenix. I think they'll lose to them. But I'm not so sure they're gettnig out of the first round. But it looks like Memphis is going to get the homecourt advantage. In Memphis the Grizzlies are tough. I think Memphis has a great shot at winning the first round series.

Jose - Indiana: The Lakers look like they are going to make the playoffs. How far do you think they will go? Would their chances be better at the 7 or 8 spot?

SportsNation Chris Broussard: Well, their chances are definitely better in the 7 spot. If they get the 8 spot, there's no way they'll be able to beat San Antonio. I say that knowing that the Lakers have beat the Spurs this year and have struggled against the Suns. Who knows Kobe could get hot and make things happen. But I don't think they'll beat either team.

daniel, S.F. California: can you see the kings stealing two games in a potential playoff series with the San Antonio Spurs

SportsNation Chris Broussard: Yeah, if you look back at the Spurs recent history, they've had turns of 6-game series. Last year, Seattle pushed them to 6 games. I don't know if it's complacency or what but the Kings might push them to six games. If I had to predict the series, I'd say Spurs 4-1.

Jared (Livonia MI): Hey Chris so who gets the credit for the pistons '04 title now, Larry or the starting five?

SportsNation Chris Broussard: That's a good question. I don't want to take away from Larry Brown, as bad as the Knicks have been this season. He's been a very good coach. He does deserve credit for helping the Pistons to the title. But I think he got too much credit, by including myself. I and many others, thought Larry Brown was the main reason the Pistons won that title. He played a key role in that title and now people are starting to realize that the players beat the Lakers and it wasn't just all smoke and mirrors. That Lakers team too was overrated. By the time they got to the finals, Karl Malone barely played. Gary Payton was fussing. He was not playing well. So you basically had Kobe and Shaq and they were bickering as well. That team was all messed up. Not to take anything away from the Pistons.

Dave (Milwaukee): Chris, please answer a question about the Bucks. I've heard rumors Stotts' job may be in jeopardy. I'm hoping it's true because I'm tired of watching his perimeter-oriented offense. Any chance the Bucks could be players for a major head coach this summer if they bow out in the first round of the playoffs?

SportsNation Chris Broussard: I think Stotts has done a good job. They certainly are a perimeter oriented offense. But if you look at their inside presence, they don't have a choice. Don't let Magloire's all-star appearance throw you off. That was a product of a weak Eastern Conference. I think Stotts should be fine in terms of his job security. As far as major players for a big time coach, I don't know who's out there that's a big time coach that could come in and turn things around. I think Stotts is fine and will be back.

SportsNation Chris Broussard: Of course I never thought they would get rid of Terry Porter, so anything could happen.

Chad (Raleigh, NC): Where do you see the Bobcats in 2 seasons? When they get May and Okafor back they should have a solid core.

SportsNation Chris Broussard: Yeah, I like the Bobcats. I think what they've done under the circumstances is great. You have to give credit to the team. They've drafted well. Raymond Felton has been great. He's played better than Chris Paul this last part of the season. I like Sean May. Okafor has shown that when healthy he's a strong player. Let's not forget about Gerald Wallace, he may be a star in the making. His talent has never been questioned. He just didn't really know how to play the game, but he's still working. He's a great character guy. You have to think he's going to keep working and improving his game. I think Gerald Wallace is a big time player. The question for them is one of those four guys a go-to superstar. You have a couple of ways to build your team, build it around 1 or 2 superstars or just have an overall good team. The question is are those guys going to play that type of balanced team game or is one of those guys going to emerge as the real go-to guy. I don't know if either one of those guys is that player.

SportsNation Chris Broussard: Thanks for the time. I appreciate the questions. I look forward to doing this again.

Last edited by Evilmav2; 04-05-2006 at 09:58 PM.
Evilmav2 is offline   Reply With Quote