Thread: LOST: SEASON 5
View Single Post
Old 01-23-2009, 02:25 PM   #113
alexamenos
Diamond Member

alexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ty View Post
They're simply lying to protect the island from being exploited by anybody.
My problem with this ^^^ is simply that Hurly is absolutely right -- there's no need to protect the island by lying because the island can protect itself by hurling itself through space and time. I mean....if I knew that the island could up and move itself 15 years into the past or change oceans or something, I wouldn't feel terribly compelled to tell a story to keep anyone from finding the island.

A more plausible reason I believe is that they're lying because people would think they're freaking nuts -- this was brought up when Hurly was arguing that they shouldn't lie.

But the thing is, I don't get the slightest sense that this is motivating any of them to lie in the least -- the only reason they (jack as I recall) pushed this reason on Hurly is because he was trying to push Hurly's hot buttons ('you crazy fat bastard, if you don't lie it's back to the looney bin for you').