View Single Post
Old 07-01-2016, 03:38 PM   #90
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobatundi View Post
Once again, it appears our FO has misread the market. The amount of money that is going to guys who are second, or even third, tier players is ridiculous.

I just don't see any way this team ever gets out of this death spiral. At this point I would say blow it up and rebuild with youth...but outside of Anderson--who I love but is unproven--this FO's draft history is really bad. Josh Howard, Devin Harris, then a decade of total failure. I get that they haven't had high picks, but really, you look at their draftees, and it looks like they haven't even been trying.
This. When you're a mediocre or outright bad team, you're never going to be a big player in the FA market.

I firmly believe that building and maintaining a successful NBA team always starts with the draft. When you get talented young players on their rookie contracts, it opens countless doors. I think that more than anything is the key difference between the Mavs and the Spurs- Spurs are ALWAYS finding diamonds in the rough, whereas the Mavs haven't gotten anything out of the draft in over a decade.

BTW, I can't help but notice that the Mavs draft drought started right when Nellie left. Gotta hand that to old Nellie- he knew how to evaluate talent. I can't say the same for his son.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote