View Single Post
Old 07-11-2005, 03:52 PM   #1
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute
Default Which FA 2/3 do you like?

Probably an inconsequential question, but I'm bored so WTH. I was scanning through the free agent ranks and found 4 young guys who play the 2/3 who might be worth looking at if the Mavs find themselves in the position of needing a cheap, 4th option at the SG and SF spots. Thought I'd throw the names out there with some relevant stats and see if anyone had any strong opinions one way or the other on any of them.

Jason Kapono (R) - 24 years old, 2 years in the league, 6'8" SF. Per 48 minute averages at the SF position of 21.3 points, 5.2 rebounds, 1.9 assists. Better than a 42% three point shooter for his career, but overall a pretty inefficient offensive player. Gets a lot of his points off the catch and shoot, weak rebounder, and makes Finley look like a foul drawing machine. Had an on-court +/- of -2.6, and a net +/- of +5.3 with the Bobcats last year

Gerald Wallace (R) - 23 years old (later this month), 4 years in the league, 6'7" SF. Per 48 minute averages at the SF position of 17.8 points, 8.3 rebounds, 3.2 assists, 3.6 TO's, and 2 blocks. Fantastic athlete, unremarkable scoring efficiency, and not much of a shooting threat; no hint of three point range. Terrific rebounding, very high block totals (last year only) for a SF. Had an on-court +/- of -4, and a net of +/- of +4.2 with the Bobcats last year.

Casey Jacobsen - 24 years old, 3 years in the league, 6'6" SG/SF. Per 48 minute averages of 13.7 points, 4.1 rebounds, 2.3 assists at SF for the Suns, and 15.1 points, 4.6 rebounds, 3.4 assists at SG for the Hornets. 37% three point shooter for his career. Good off the catch and shoot with some ability to create his own offense. FG% is low, but his scoring efficiency is good owing to the solid shooting from behind the arc and an ability to get to the free throw line. A liability on the boards at SF. Had an on-court +/- of +4.1 and a net +/- of -3.7 with the Suns, and an on-court +/- of -2.5 and a net +/- of +6.1 with the Hornets. Good defensive +/- for both teams.

DerMarr Johnson - 25 years old, 4 years in the league, 6'9" SG/SF. Per 48 minute averages of 19.6 points, 5.8 rebounds, 3 assists for the Nuggets. 35% three point shooter for his career, and can create his own offense as well. Extremely efficient scorer. Not a good rebounder at the SF position. Had an on-court +/- of +5.7 and a net +/- of +5.4 for the Nuggets. Like Jacobsen, his defensive +/- looks good.

The way SG's have been flying off the market at absurd prices so far this offseason I suppose it's possible that bidding could get a little out of hand on these guys, but you don't hear any of them talked about much, and Jacobsen and Johnson (who happen to be the two I'd be most interested in) are both unrestricted.