View Single Post
Old 12-10-2012, 07:00 PM   #35
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike View Post
It worth noting that his game seems like an improved version of JET's...and we know how well JET paired with Dirk. I see no reason to think that a young guy with as much game and inner drive as OJ has wouldn't thrive next to Dirk.
He's definitely playing at level that exceeds what JET's been able to (consistently) do over the last few years, but to me there are enough differences in their games that I don't think the JET v2.0 label is quite accurate (maybe I've said this before but it's on my mind again...). For one thing, OJ has yet to show that he's on JET's level as a playmaker. People got so used to trashing JET as a point guard that I think many have forgotten that - relative to the standards of the SG position he and OJ play - JET was a pretty good, well...point guard. I also think JET was better moving without the ball, and a bit quicker in his day, which led to him having a more productive midrange game. By comparison, OJ's been setting himself apart with his ability to get his shot off against tight defense (even if he's not quite as adept at shaking said defense), and with his three-point marksmanship.

Whether or not all that holds up is an open question. We haven't seen OJ with Dirk yet, and maybe that'll bring out some more playmaking from him. Though at the same time, historical precedent says his long-range accuracy is likely to settle down a bit eventually (he'd never been a significantly better three point shooter than JET before this year). At any rate, hopefully there's room for everything to balance out in the long run in a way that doesn't significantly lessen his overall effectiveness. He's been a very pleasant surprise.