Thread: Tank or try?
View Single Post
Old 07-09-2015, 05:08 PM   #82
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holiday5 View Post
Honestly, Mavs fans the sad truth is we have known this time was coming at some point, Dirk vs Father time. It's just super sad how its happening that's for sure. Honestly for Dirk, you just let Dirk does what he wants, but overall, you have to tank regardless of Dirk. First let me say that "tanking" statement goes against what I believe in. One of the best Mavs qualities has been the fact they would do whatever it would take to compete every single season, we mortgaged our future and tried to go after Chips with Dirk. Regardless of what you want to say in hindsight(blowing up the team 2012, getting rondo) Atleast we took chances, you can't knock the FO for doing, we tried a different approach. I love that fact especially in a league ripe with tanking.

There are a lot views on how Dirk should go out and how to approach this. I will say just to start, I am a massive Dirk fan, he is my fav Athlete of all time, I cannot express how much I love Dirk. I would love nothing more than to watch Dirk ride off into the sunset with more rings. But Dirk isn't leaving Dallas, you don't trade him. If he wants to go to another contender let him. But right now you don't do what needs to be done for Dirk, you do what is best for the franchise. In the Grand scheme I don't think Dirk is owed more, or we should feel bad. Aging Superstars has been one of the biggest issues with teams. Looks at the Celtics/Lakers of the 80's, 90's they kept trying to win with their aging stars and became dormant in the 90's, the bulls after Jordan, Lakers again after Shaq. Kobe is going through it right now. Heat will be doing it with Wade. There is no perfect solution and most of the time it ends badly.

Dirk has had 18 glorious years in the league, he is a very smart dude, he would probably even tell Mark and all the fans to tank. He would still start playing his 25 minutes a game until he retires a maverick. You can't control everything, he can't control Deandre Jordan, no one saw that coming. There is no reason to mortgage even more of your future after what happened to us. As much as we want to keep giving Dirk more shots at a title, even he knows that this year its impossible. Dirk is far to humble and not as great as he once was to make sure that we get a .500 team out there. Its either a contender or not.

Bottom line, you have no more choice but to tank you don't owe it to anyone. Deandre Jordan stabbed us in the back. Right now we are in the Grieving stage, some mavs fans are angry, denial(put a winning team out there) etc etc. The faster we all move to "accepted" We can realize that that 15 year great window with Dirk is over and move onto the future. I can't express how much that pains me to say it, or how big of a mavs fan I really am, but I am just saying what we all know deep down and need to accept it. Keep Dirk, trade away the other assets for picks, If Dirk wants to go let him, if he doesn't let him do his thing, and we will all still love him regardless.
That's a powerful 1st post.

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 07-09-2015 at 05:08 PM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote