View Single Post
Old 10-08-2007, 05:23 PM   #32
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack.Kerr
Reversing the question, would you take $1M today for your high school degree and call it a day? I'm guessing more people would than wouldn't.
I wouldn't. Like all those lottery winners, I would have blown the million in a year or two, and across my lifetime, the degree will earn me more than that (including many non-monetary benefits). Just because most people are short sighted does not mean they are right.

Quote:
I don't think people are really more likely to learn how to handle their business in college because of college itself. Most college curricula don't include that kind of information.
College is good for content general skills as well as content specific skills.

Quote:
If he didn't get any help or advice the first time around, the diploma is just a trinket.
Well, according to some of the testimony in this thread, that trinket in and of itself represents something to some people. Like it or not, right or wrong, it does, and your average the lazy bum who partied his way to a degree has a door opener that your average hard worker who didn't get a degree doesn't have.

Quote:
Anyway, I think people are talking about two different populations here-....The prodigies (like a Bill Gates or a Micahel Dell or a LeBron James) should take the money and go with it. The mortals whose names we never knew or have already forgotten have reason to be more circumspect.
Yep. I agree with this.

I'll bow out of the thread, and quote in conclusion:
Quote:
Did Oden shows
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote