View Single Post
Old 10-15-2008, 01:32 AM   #51
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

No, we're not Norway. Our GDP is like FIFTY TIMES the size of Norway! Hell, I think Texas alone is about three times the size of Norway. And what is Texas trying to do? Talk to your congressman. I listened to Dan Branch a couple months ago. Good Republican, he is. His stump speech was about how much Texas needs to shake off its no-spending habit and get with the rest of the world economy. He wants roads built to renew our aging infrastructure, which will facilitate commerce. He wants investments in upper-tier colleges, to spur innovation--which we are presently lagging far behind in compared to other parts of the US and particularly other parts of the world. He wants our water supply systems to be addressed, so that we don't face crippling problems ten and twenty years down the road.

Who's gonna pay for that? Rhylan, who wants to keep everything that's "his"? Apparently not. Dude? Apparently not.

Business is a pay-to-play game. You don't just wake up one day and decide that you're going to work really hard, and then make a fortune. If you are a lawyer or a doctor or a financier, maybe. But not if you are a CEO.

We here in Dallas are presently to decide upon a multi-billion-dollar bond project to build a new Parkland Hospital. Whoa, now. Sorry, man, I see no reason to pay for that. I've got my own doctor, my own hospital. I'm not paying for poor people to go to Parkland.

You see where this is going? If you want a first-class economy, the kind of economy that supports the lifestyle you enjoy, you have to pay the freight.

If everybody freeloads on it, the whole thing crumbles. Tragedy of the commons, and all.

Last edited by chumdawg; 10-15-2008 at 01:32 AM.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote