Thread: 2018 NBA Draft
View Single Post
Old 01-22-2018, 12:52 PM   #209
Magnum_3_Ball
Banned

Magnum_3_Ball has a spectacular aura aboutMagnum_3_Ball has a spectacular aura aboutMagnum_3_Ball has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
I like Doncic a lot, but I'd still take Porter over him... Maybe I'm still buying into the "next Durant" hype, but I just can't shake the notion that he could have the most upside in this draft.

My biggest problem with trying to project the Mavs top-10 is Young -- at what point does BPA edge out need? Still have Bamba over him, but #6 just seems too low for a player of his caliber. He likely won't be there when we pick, but what if he is?

Still don't think Sexton makes enough of an impact to overlook need -- doesn't make sense to try to pair him with DSJ... Also think Knox is way too similar to Barnes to crack my top-10... But I do finally have Mikal over Miles.

DeAndre Ayton
Marvin Bagley II
Michael Porter Jr
Luka Doncic
Mohamed Bamba
(Trae Young?)
Jaren Jackson Jr
Mikal Bridges
Wendell Carter
Miles Bridges

Hello Dallas Mavs forum! This is my first post. I'm glad I found this thread. Since the Cowboys were unceremoniously bounced from the playoffs, I've been looking at the NBA draft since that's what the Mavs are playing for this season. Oooooh, I was so mad when we won those 4 games in a row; especially after we had just saddled ATL with a win. Smh lol

Anyways, some things I've read/heard about the 2018 draft prospects. I agree with Underdog. To me, Ayton is the clear #1 prospect on this board. He's the one player who appears to measure out a legit 7' feet. Both Bagley & Bamba I have seen listed anywhere from 6-9 to 7 feet, which lets you know they're probably both a lot closer to 6-9. Imo, Bamba is a clear drop off from the top tier talent in this draft. Bamba is the start of tier 2 for me.

I've heard it discussed on a couple of boards that Porter Jr likely won't even declare for the 2018 draft. The reason given is it's said to be very important to him to win a national championship in college & to win one for his home state of Missouri. I'm not sure how much validity you can give those reports, but I think it's definitely fair to question whether he declares or not.

Also, regarding Porter Jr, herniated discs are no joke. I had a herniated disc myself that required surgery 10 years ago. I haven't run or jump since. Basically due to doctor's recommendations. True, I'm not a professional athlete & if I were, I would most likely sacrifice some of my long term quality of life considerations for millions of dollars. Still, the point remains. Yes, you can do constant physical therapy & keep your core strong, but it's a chore, and your back will always be weakened. I think it's a major red flag. Knowing what I know about herniated discs, I doubt I would take Michael Porter Jr with a 1st round pick. He'd have to come back to college & prove it to me.

I've also read glowing reviews of Mikal Bridges across a half-dozen sites or so. Pretty much everyone has him as their dark horse/sleeper of the draft. Oh, and I heard one site list Sexton as a potential top 5 pick. He's near 20 ppg at 19.3 and his %s aren't too shabby (44.2% FG 36.8% 3PT 79.8% FT)

I really hope the Mavs can find a way to lose as many games as possible, get lucky & win the draft lottery and take Ayton. That's what I'm praying for.
Magnum_3_Ball is offline   Reply With Quote