View Single Post
Old 08-20-2009, 11:22 PM   #50
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg_veteran View Post
The difference is that REAL insurance adjusts for risks. That's why certain high-risk people are excluded.

Repeat after me: buying coverage for something that hasn't happened yet is insurance. Paying for coverage after the fact as if the event hasn't happened yet and requiring the rest of the people in the pool (or the government) to cover the costs is welfare.

If we're going to talk about giving coverage to people who already have uninsurable conditions, let's at least call a spade a spade.
I think you are getting into some very grey area here. There are many things we could define as "welfare" if we were so inclined.

We could call police forces and military forces welfare, for example. Using your line of reasoning, we could imagine someone who says that the 9/11 attacks did not attack them personally. After all, it's a big country, and only so much of it could be reasonably said to be at threat. The farmer in Nebraska probably doesn't have to worry too much about a direct threat to his safety. So maybe he thinks, "Why the hell should I have to bear the cost of this war?"
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote