View Single Post
Old 12-01-2012, 02:47 AM   #83
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
There was only 3 shots made total by both teams in the last 4 mins, especially V.C, who hadn't scored since like the 3 min mark in the 3rd. So who is hot is relative. Who is being focused in on and what is happening defensively comes into play too. The point is regardless what you would consider hot, V.C. was much further from it than OJ was at that time. I don't think it's a stretch for anyone to say Coach favors the veteran in a lot of situations. I can't say I blame him, but in this case I think that he made the wrong decisions *IF* it was to Iso for V.C. and not involve Mayo.

I think most of us agree that the shot Vince ended up settling for wasn't a good decision. He needed to take it to the rack and finish, get to the ft line, or kick it out. We can come up with several different and better options than what ended up happening. Could have used Kaman in an iso there too, to get VC or Mayo a look. Anything but a fadeaway. Most times, I don't even particularly care much for Dirk shooting those at the end of games and there isn't a player better at it. The ref doesn't ever have to make a decision unless it's obvious on that type of last resort play.

We should probably be putting the ball in OJ's hands in those situations anyway to see what he can come up with.
While I am in the minority in that I was okay with the play call there, I really wasn't intending to get into that whole debate - which has been hashed out elsewhere - again. My issue with Joshi's post (btw: Joshi, disagreement on this point aside, I've missed your contributions to the forum, and I'm glad to see you posting again), was restricted to the claim that Rick took the ball out of the hot hand. Because to my mind he very clearly did not. Dallas was in that situation in large part because they didn't have a hot hand.

That said, I certainly don't mean to discount what OJ did in that overtime period. He was brilliant, and made a strong case with his play for getting his number called in a situation like that sometime soon.