View Single Post
Old 12-09-2004, 05:24 PM   #16
Poindexter Einstein
Golden Member

Poindexter Einstein will become famous soon enough
Default RE: Addressing some common fallacies concerning Dirk

The idea that Dirk had the same ability we are seeing now, and excelled in the past, is valid - to an extent. Yet there are other factors, and I do believe Dirk is doing some new things. Is that related to Nash's absence? Probably, though it would be hard to prove either way.

But I dont buy the idea that the shortcomings of last year were due to Nellie having some sort of agenda regarding a point forward, or regarding Walker, to be the focus of the team.

Instead, I believe the organization (from top to bottom) made a direct change in focus - one which all of you would have agreed with in concept, I dare say. They decided: we cant win a title if we dont have a team that rebounds better and is stronger on the inside.

So for last year, their aim was to produce a better rebounding team somehow, while trying to maintain the offensive flow. That led to the additions of Walker and Jamison and Fortson and the subtraction of LaFrentz and Van Exel. They would have preferred a solid low-post center, but none was to be had. They probably made an assumption that Dirk would still excell somehow. Their main goal was likely "how do we get all these guys on the floor in a cohesive manner?"

Yes Nellie went back to an PUBLICIZED use of an old tool he used in prior years, the point forward. But with a need to get rebounders on the floor, he knew that Walker could help in that area. And he appeared to have ball handling skills. Furthermore, when Walker is added at the last minute, and Dirk and Walker play the same position, how does he paint things in a way that might get both players enthusiastic? He did what needed to be done, as I saw things.

Did it work like they hoped? Of course not. Was it a "gimmick"? Not really. Heck, other teams do the same thing and no one cares. The Mavs do it now and no one cares. THE ONLY REASON IT WAS AN ISSUE HERE LAST YEAR WAS BECAUSE (A) PEOPLE OVERREACTED TO NELLIE TALKING ABOUT IT, AND (B) THE TEAM DIDNT WORK AS WELL. I truly believe that if Nellie hadnt made an issue of it, no one here would have noticed or cared as to Walker handling the ball in some sets. It's just basketball.

Was their approach a good one? Yes and no. The rebounding was way better - but the team in general didnt work. Dirk didnt fit as well, because the other rebounders (three PFs) on the floor allowed teams to play Dirk in a different way. They gave it a year, and to their credit they determined they needed to change the makeup of the team to focus on Dirk - there wasnt even a "big 3" concept envisioned this year, for the very first time. The extra PFs all were tossed, and centers were added.

So this year with Walker and Jamison and Fortson and Najera sent away, have we seen the same Dirk as we did in 02-03? Not really. Dirks numbers look similar - but because the team around him offensively is not as efficient, he has become way more of a "dominant force" type of player. Fewer 3s, more drives, more free throws. Heck, even running hook shots here and there. He doesnt get as many finesse baskets, nor as many fast break chances, yet his scoring is at that 02-03 level.

Thats why observers around the NBA are now sitting up and taking notice in a way they didnt do before.

So Dirk in my opinion has gone to a new level this year. And Nellie last year tried to accomplish what was needed, using the tools on the roster.

Thats how I see it.

Poindexter Einstein is offline   Reply With Quote