View Single Post
Old 04-06-2010, 02:28 PM   #22
ribosoma
Golden Member

ribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalmations202 View Post
I wish I could give you more rep, just for the part above. (I'll have to spread some around I guess)

I tend to agree with most of what you wrote, but the part above especially.

-- Sometimes I just wish people would think for themselves and be able to voice their opinions without it being some sheeple type response from one form or another of the media. I think people are more and more allowing themselves to be controlled - instead of using their brains.
Me too, man. You can see that same trance in the controlled opposition. Those who are truly served by big government aren't worried in the least about protests. They are merely an opportunity for their goon squads to have some target practice and further social divisions. It is when people start actually working together that the control system if terrified. I think the main reason many of us favor servitude is because we are acutely aware that we are not ready to be without big daddy government.

The first step in governing oneself is simply complete and total honesty. Our current system only works by leveraging commodities needed for survival. If I have a relationship with a farmer or rancher (which I do), my food is now free from their grasp. If I generate electricity or work with others in my community to do so, I have freed up the means of certain aspects of production. It's really that simple, yet it takes work. And we have been convinced of our uselessness through many of our institutions. We specialize in one thing because it makes us good worker bees, but at the cost of our full spatial awareness. So open up. Get to know your neighbor. Learn to do something you're not supposed to know how to do. Form connections. Stop fearing everyone. Accept your failures unconditionally. Speed up your own personal operating system. Stop investing so much in things that only bind you. That is freedom.

A few excerpts from Guy Debord's The Society of the Spectacle. I found it to be a fairly dead-on assessment of what we are stuck in and how things came to be this way:

Quote:
In societies dominated by modern conditions of production, life is presented as an immense accumulation of spectacles. Everything that was directly lived has receded into a representation.

The images detached from every aspect of life merge into a common stream in which the unity of that life can no longer be recovered. Fragmented views of reality regroup themselves into a new unity as a separate pseudoworld that can only be looked at. The specialization of images of the world evolves into a world of autonomized images where even the deceivers are deceived. The spectacle is a concrete inversion of life, an autonomous movement of the nonliving.

The spectacle presents itself simultaneously as society itself, as a part of society, and as a means of unification. As a part of society, it is the focal point of all vision and all consciousness. But due to the very fact that this sector is separate, it is in reality the domain of delusion and false consciousness: the unification it achieves is nothing but an official language of universal separation...

In a world that is really upside down, the true is a moment of the false...

The first stage of the economy’s domination of social life brought about an evident degradation of being into having — human fulfillment was no longer equated with what one was, but with what one possessed. The present stage, in which social life has become completely dominated by the accumulated productions of the economy, is bringing about a general shift from having to appearing — all “having” must now derive its immediate prestige and its ultimate purpose from appearances. At the same time all individual reality has become social, in the sense that it is shaped by social forces and is directly dependent on them. Individual reality is allowed to appear only if it is not actually real...
ribosoma is offline   Reply With Quote