View Single Post
Old 07-02-2008, 02:44 PM   #162
quietsavant

quietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud of

Kings Tell Artest He Isn't in Long-Term Plans?

Posted: 7/2/2008 1:10:00 AM
Source: Sacramento Bee

When Ron Artest attended Game 6 of the NBA Finals in Boston, he instantly sparked speculation that he could be the missing piece alongside Kobe Bryant for a Los Angeles Lakers team that fell short in its title run.

But when the small forward and his agent, Mark Stevens, had a conference call with Kings basketball president Geoff Petrie on Tuesday morning, one day after Artest decided to play the final season of his contract with the Kings for $7.4 million, the hoops love Artest had been feeling was nowhere to be found.

Several sources close to the team said Artest entered with the hopes of discussing a lucrative, long-term extension – but was told the Kings were not prepared to take part in such talks.

The message, quite clearly, is that he was not a part of their long-term plans. Artest was told to play out the season and be prepared to either be traded or revisit the issue next summer, when he would be an unrestricted free agent. Not long after, Artest sent an e-mail to ESPN.com's Marc Stein expressing regret over his decision to stay.

"I think I made the biggest mistake by staying in my contract, and I have to live with it," Artest wrote. "I had some misleading information (in making the) decision on not opting out. …

"I don't see myself with (the) Kings beyond 2008-09."

Petrie acknowledged he had a "candid" conversation with Artest but said he "wasn't too inclined to (say) much further than that."

Stevens said he had considered the talk with Petrie "good" and was surprised by Artest's public venting when reached Tuesday afternoon.

"I'm not even near a TV, so I can't even respond to something I haven't seen," Stevens said. "Whatever (Artest's) reasons for feeling that way is – well, we'll just see."

Just as the Kings did in February, they are expected to entertain trade offers for Artest and take advantage of his rising value. The Lakers are a near certain possibility for talks this summer, with a long list of contending teams needing a piece such as Artest behind them.

Would Donnie and Mark be open to make a packaged deal to trade for this disgruntled player?

The good Ol days : Click
quietsavant is offline   Reply With Quote