View Single Post
Old 08-29-2003, 11:34 PM   #9
Fidel
Diamond Member

Fidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to behold
Default If you were the commissioner of the NBA

Quote:
2. I would form a partnership with European basketball. I would incorporate those leagues into broacasts. I would put these games on NBA TV, I would talk about the future stars and I would promote them. I would negotiate with the European leagues to have a tournament amongst each other in the Spring to determine a "European champion" and I would have the NBA champion play the European champion following the finals to determine the "true" world champions. This would be a huge ratings draw around the world and would draw new fans year after year. The "World Championship of Basketball". I would also negotiate with leagues in Africa, Asia and Australia, and have them develop their leagues and in the future, have a true "World Championship" every year.
Hitman I pretty much agree with your points one and three, but point Nr.2 has got some flaws. First we´ve got something "to determine a European Champion" allready and for a long time too. Both on a club and on a national basis. On club basis it´s called the "Euroleague". The euroleague is pretty popular in countrys like spain, italy, greece and there´s alot of money involved.

The other idea of having the NBA champion and the euroleague champion play each other wouldn´t work IMO because as it is right now nearly all of the best euros play in the NBA. The euro teams wouldn´t stand a chance and euro fans would be pissed about it. The plan of David Stern to have NBA frachises in Europe seems a little bit more realistic to me. Maybe some euro top clubs could be involved in this but I don´t know if it going to work on a financial basis (i.e. would Real Madrid be willing to spend something around 300 mio $ as an entree fee to the league? I don´t think so. Would other owners in the NBA exept a much smaller amount? Again I don´t think so.)

The leagues in Australia, Asia and Africa are way to weak right now to participate in any serious competition. In Australia it´ll stay that way forever I guess cause they just don´t have the talent pool. Same goes for Africa, but mostly for economic reasons. Asia and South Africa may get something going but they are years (alot of years) away IMO (at least they´ve got the talent, but South Africa has got economic problems too and China, as the only country from asia with enough talent I Think, well we all know what Chinas problems are. Do you think the US or euro fans would like their teams to play against military teams which foremost purpose is to please some sickheaded polititians and military generals? I don´t think so.)
Fidel is offline   Reply With Quote