View Single Post
Old 10-26-2004, 02:05 AM   #7
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: ESPN Insider: Chad Ford's take on the Mavs

Quote:
"Second, when you're adding missing pieces to the puzzle, you really want to add veteran guys who know what it takes to win. They added three guys who've been stuck on losing teams for most, if not all, of their careers. Guys like Terry, Dampier and even Stack don't have a clue what it takes to win. Just because all of the guys on your team can fill up a stat sheet doesn't necessarily translate into wins in the NBA."
I actually think this is a valid concern. In fact, I brought it up this summer. Guys that come from losing franchises are used to blowing close games. Losing wears on you and after a while you have to accept it to keep your sanity. T-Mac said as much last week.

Walker shot the ball horribly last year, even for him. That being said, I'd have rather had Walker playing well than Jamison. Just seems like those rare occasion when Walker had it going, we were in good shape. Jamison scored a lot of points, but didn't seem to affect the game when it mattered. That's why despite his gaudy fg%, there was hardly a peep when he was traded.

I’m sure somebody will mention Nick, but he wasn’t in Denver long and was very successful in L.A.

My hope is that the culture of winning that we’ve built around here will spread to the newcomers…. especially Terry and Damp who haven’t won anything since college.

Like the guy said, all things being equal, you’d prefer to bring in guys from winning teams, but since we didn’t really have that option we’ll just have to hope for the best.