View Single Post
Old 11-03-2004, 05:47 PM   #306
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold
Default RE:Kings vs. Mavs Gameday Thread (11/02/04)

Quote:
Originally posted by: V2M

You can't give him credit for playing Damp some minutes. He wouldn't last a month with Cuban if he doesn't start and play Damp some decent minutes, don't you think?!

I'd guess, Nellie last night was all about winning the game and not about testing the lineups, etc. He announced that DJ is the backup to Damp but he didn't have the guts to try an undrafted rookie out in an all important season-opener against a key opponent. I expect him to start playing DJ slowly but surely over the next few games. Booth & Bradley may just be situational backups or injury backups in Nellie's mind.

Over the next month or so, I expect to see the following lineups:

Damp/DJ
Dirk/Hendu
JHo/Stack
Fin/Quis
Harris/JeT

With Bradley & Booth as situational backups at 5 and 4.

I think Cubes would can Nellie if he played Damp like he did Fortson and Bradley last year. However I think Cubes will Can Nellie if he trys playing Hendu and Dirk as his backups to Damp while Booth, Bradley, and Benga cool their heels on the bench. What really sucks is in Bradley we have one of the best shot blockers in the NBA and Nellie refuses to use him except for token minutes. I just don't see Nellie committing to playing the personnel for 45+ minutes per game that will allow us to be a balanced defensive team over the course of the season. It's too much of a temptation for Nellie to go small. I do hope that I'm wrong.

But as to your question about Cubes firing Nellie, I think Nellie almost wants to get fired. Look to see Nellie going more and more back to his small ball ways as the season wears on.