View Single Post
Old 09-08-2004, 08:33 PM   #50
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:Intellectual Trade

Quote:
Did I ever say they are his equals? There is no player in NBA history that even comes close to being Jordan's equal except for Julius Erving. With your logic, players like Kobe and Tim Duncan are in Jordan's league. They're good players now.. but neither of those two (who you could make a case for being the leaders of their respective championship teams) can touch the legacy of Barkley or Stockton/Malone.

To me, I would still consider Jordan the greatest in the history of the game whether or not he won any titles at all. His clutch shooting, unequaled skill and craftiness, and never-say-die determination and intensity that make him the best player of all-time.

Championships mean you were part of the greatest TEAM during the season.. they aren't individual accolades.
No you didn't... I just pointed it out early in our discussion so you wouldn't later misunderstand and bring it up... So again, for the record, they are not his equals...

And by the way, I said: "Players like Barkley, who were VERY good, can NOT be put in the same class as those that put up similiar numbers and won the championship..." Again, I understand your lack of understanding, as you have a reading issue... This answers as to why those like Tim and Kobe are not in Jordan's league despite their championships, (don't get it... Ok... Its because they HAVENT PUT UP SIMILIAR CAREER NUMBERS)!!!

The REASON that VERY FEW players in NBA history come close to being Jordan's equal is BECAUSE of those championships IN ADDITION to the numbers he put up... You can lie through your teeth until they rot out of your head, but you have such respect for Jordan due to his ability to win games, and ultimately, championships...

That clutch shooting you mentioned happened in big games, many of which were playoff series winners, (Cavs/Jazz ring a bell?)...

That never-say-die determination would have meant a whole lot if his 30ppg was wasted on a losing team huh, (Iverson and Tracy ring a bell)??? I guess you REALLY have MAD respect for Iverson, as he should be on the top of your list of all-time greats... After all, who else scores as much as him and has that type of grit??? Give me a break...

And for the last time, I will correct your lack of understanding once more... I KNOW that winning a championship is a TEAM accomplishment, as I said that in my first post to ET; however, I then mentioned that those with the testicular fortitude to lead a team to the promised land was what separated the great from the GREAT!!! You still with me, or do you need another go???