View Single Post
Old 09-09-2004, 11:48 AM   #68
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:Intellectual Trade

Quote:
Originally posted by: endtroducing
The Knicks weren't Monroe's team, the Lakers weren't Fisher's team. Fisher had Shaq, Monroe had Reed...both Monroe and Fisher were point guards. not a reach at all. they played the same role, they didn't carry the load of scoring at all. they weren't asked to.

Monroe's got one ring, Fisher has three. similar numbers in their title year, similar roles, different numbers of titles...

Monroe went to NY to win a title and be a role player, Payton went to LA to win a title and be a role player, and Fisher has been a role player his whole career. almost IDENTICAL numbers in said seasons, even though Payton outclasses both of them in every other season he's played (but doesn't have a ring). so, who's better, Payton, Monroe or Fisher?

I'm not saying titles aren't important, because they are, but I don't think it defines how good the player is at the game of basketball. that's the first and foremost thing, to me at least, when you talk about being an all-time great, which is an individual accolade. that's what I'm trying to prove here.
Again, you just dont get my point here... My point is that this ENTIRE ISSUE does not play a part for role players or guys that just jump on for the ride... Im talking about guys like Barkley, Malone, Payton, etc... WHEN THEY WERE THE LEADER OF THEIR TEAMS... Barkley with Philly and Phoenix... Malone with the Jazz... Payton with Seattle... Players that, when in their prime, and with their teams, could not get it done... Those are the guys that fall short of the guys in their same situation that COULD get it done... So YES, you are reaching when you start looking at guys like Derek friggin Fisher... And I hate to tell you, but Derek Fisher did NOT have similiar numbers to Monroe during his championship year, (which by the way was one of Earl's worst years statistically)...

Fisher's averages during the Lakers 3 titles:

9.6ppg
3.2apg
2.3rpg

Monroe's average during the Knicks title:

15.5ppg
3.8apg
3.3rpg

I mean come on... Fisher is a career 7.4ppg guy while giving you 3apg... And you don't think this is reaching by comparing him to Monroe at a career 18.8ppg while giving you 3.8apg, (and he was a shooting guard in a point guard's body)... Yeah... REAL SIMILIAR!!!

And by the way... I said that Payton was better in my opinion that Monroe, but dont say that he outclassed him every year... Monroe put up some good numbers early in his career... Payton has never put up 26ppg in a season, and in fact, the only reason I chose Payton over Earl was because of his assist numbers and steals... Payton is a career 18ppg guy, LOWER than Monroe!!!