View Single Post
Old 01-30-2021, 02:33 AM   #4
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas41 View Post
I think he's a very good coach but sometimes coaches just wear out their time.

I think Nellie stepped down because he said the players needed to just hear a different voice.

I wonder if the Mavs would consider moving RC to front office roll like advisory if they under achieve this year.

Personally, I think he will live and die with certain lineups or veteran players. For example veteran guy than terrible for 2-3 games and still get quality minutes and then a young guy can play well and still get benched the next game.

This goes back as far as Roddy B in that series vs the Spurs one game where he clearly was outplaying Jet Terry and the Mavs would have won that game had RC just stayed with the hot hand.

I recall Tony Parker stating he was glad that RC benched Roddy B that game because the Spurs just couldn't stay in front of him.

There have been times this year where I thought Josh Green has been outstanding in terms of energy and aggressive play. He would really go hard early in games getting offensive rebounds, deflections or jumping passing lanes. Only to be benched completely because he made a rookie mistake while THJ sleeps walks an entire half going 2-8 or 1/6 with no rebounds or assist.

I mean if your coach and you preach defense 1st then why does a guy like Green get a quick hook when he's arguably your best perimeter defender.
I've said this a million times- we would've beaten the Spurs in 2010 if Carlisle gave Roddy B consistent minutes.

I'm not ready to pull the plug on RC just yet- part because we don't have a suitable replacement behind him. Unfortunately, the guy who would have been the best fit is now the head coach of the Rockets. Beyond that, I really do think Carlisle did an amazing job last year and said throughout the season that he should have been a COY candidate. So it's not like he's been bad for a long time and is only coasting on the title he won a decade ago.

That being said, sometimes things just go bad really fast. And the Mavs really do look like they're in freefall right now. The franchise begins and ends with Luka. If Carlisle isn't the right fit for a team built around Luka- and that seems very possible these days- then it's time to move on.

Last edited by Thespiralgoeson; 01-30-2021 at 02:34 AM.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote